Monday, September 17, 2018

Weekend Recap on Monday...


We spent another lazy weekend with not much going on.  I also don't have too many photos to share.  We were watching the devastation brought by Hurricane Florence on the Carolinas and beyond.  Terrible flooding and eight people have lost their life (so far). Hoping that number doesn't get bigger. My heart breaks when I see the pets and defenseless animals left behind. I'm happy that so many hotels and shelters now allow pets. I know I could not leave our cats behind, even if it meant sleeping in the car with them.

On Thursday, Joe and I went to Sam's Club for our Sam's Club list.  There are just some things we have to get there because of the price and the selection.  Friday we ran to Dollar General for some greeting cards and I picked up a couple of things to add to my Fall decorations.  I threw together some things for my two-tiered centerpiece. It has some Halloween items and some Fall items in it now.



Saturday was laundry day and we made it to the 4:00 Vigil at St. Joe's.  We have been marathon watching Blue Bloods on Netflix, and over on Acorn TV the final season of A Place To Call Home is available so we've been catching up on it too.  Season 3 of 800 Words is also on Acorn TV.  We love British TV and 800 Words is a great little series.  A single dad who writes a newspaper column that is always 800 words is raising two teens in a small New Zealand town where they moved (from Sydney) after his wife died. Really fun.

On Sunday, we invited Helen and Cheryl to come over for dinner after their church.  I started a pot of spaghetti sauce (called gravy at our house) as soon as I got up.  My plan was baked ziti since I still had some ricotta cheese to use up.  I took a photo of the saucepan and then forgot to photograph the completed casserole.  Y'all know what baked ziti looks like, I guess. Lots of melted mozzarella cheese on top!  It was good if I do say so myself.  I had some to send home with them and we have enough for us for either tonight or tomorrow. Yum.



Joe was glued to the TV, watching his Philadelphia Eagles play football, the Phillies play baseball, and there was also a pre-season Flyers hockey game on.  He is happy when they win and bummed when they don't, but will forever be a Philadelphia fan, no matter.

Joe has an appointment with his pain management doctor this morning. I need to get the guest room ready for Helen, who will be staying with us while Cheryl is in the hospital.  Cheryl is boarding her dog, Oz, so no one has to worry about him.  He is high-energy and doesn't behave well for anyone other than Cheryl.  We couldn't have him at our house because of our cats so he will be on vacation for four weeks. Cheryl won't be able to handle him outside when she gets home and until she has time to heal.

He is part Whippet and loves to jump.  He can jump HIGH.  I told her today that perhaps after two weeks, I can run her out to visit with him for a while.  We'll see how it goes.  He loves going to his doggy-daycare place and they love him there, too.  They kept him last year during Hurricane Irma when both Helen and Cheryl stayed with us for a week until their power came back on. He did just fine and will this time too.


So this week will be all about Cheryl and having Helen with us.  Your prayers for Cheryl and her surgeon, Dr. Medina, and his team will be appreciated!!

Watch for my blog tomorrow.  Something new to perhaps fill in for our now empty Wednesday (where the Hodgepodge used to be).

Thanks for your visit!!  Peace & hugs.


17 comments:

  1. Poof my comment went out the door, lol. Anyways, enjoyed your post, Terri. Hope you have a lovely day, friend. It looks like Florences rain will be moving in here to western NY today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will continue to pray for Cheryl and her doctor and team. I thought we would get some heavy rain and then cooler temps to feel more like fall after the hurricane went through, but I was wrong....it is going to warm up back to the 90's and Sat. is first day of fall. I know you will enjoy having Helen and she is lucky to have you and Joe. Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You certainly have been very busy. Why ziti and not penne? Why penne and not rigatoni? Why not mezzanni? I am confused ... and hungry.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always loved your centerpiece and was inspired to shop for one of my own. I finally bought a galvanized tin one back in the spring. At this point I've been doing a lot of filling in with silk flowers and now flowers and leaves for fall. I will have to keep collecting little things to put it it until it suits me but it's not bad. I'll have to put a picture on the blog soon. I'll be praying for Cheryl and all the medical crew around her. Happy Monday, Teri!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your centerpiece is always cute. Mmm baked ziti.
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now you have me curious as to what you will be posting to take the place of the Hodgepodge. Hmm.... Lazy weekends are always good. Will be thinking of you and praying for your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope all goes well for Cheryl. When you are the care giver for a parent, these events can be even more stressful. I am so glad she has you and Joe to help her out. And I will take a big bowl of that spaghetti please!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cannot wait to see what tomorrow brings!!!! Hope you have a good week Terri!!! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You fall centerpiece looks great. Prayers for Cheryl, for a successful surgery and quick recovery. May God bless you and Joe for all you do to help others.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cheryl is definitely in my prayers, Terri, as are you all. Hope you have an amazing week!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sure brought back bad memories of last year... prayers for your friend, and wishing you a wonderful day and Joe finding relief.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Isn't Blue Bloods a great show? I agree 100% about not leaving animals behind! It's been more than a decade since Katrina, but I'll never EVER forget the sight of that little white dog furiously scratching the side of the rescue vehicle as it drove away with his family inside.

    Prayers for Cheryl, her doctors … and all who love her!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yeah, I watched a news piece that showed all the people saving the animals that were left behind. it alwways blows my mind how so many different animals sit together so calmly in these boats. Its like they understand they are being rescued!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was just wondering, did you cook/eat a lot of Italian type foods before you married Joe? Just wondering. You seem to have taken to it very well! I love lasagna, spaghetti, and some other dishes, but sadly have found that my tummy can't handle the tomato based dishes very well anymore, so I don't make them very often. I guess it's a good thing John isn't Italian! I'd have to send him to your house to eat! LOL. It is so nice of you to take care of your dear friend Helen and Cheryl the way you do. You are a true friend. They are blessed to know you and be a part of your "family". Have a blessed week, and praying all goes well for Cheryl's surgery.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes, the flooding and damage from Florence is really sad to watch.

    I pray that Chevy's surgery goes well and that having Helen at your house is a happy time. Bless you and Joe!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hope everything goes well for Cheryl and that having Helen with you doesn't tire you out too much. Good that they have a place to care for Oz too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your centerpiece looks really nice! You and Joe and are goof friends to Helen and Cheryl. will be praying that surgery goes well!

    ReplyDelete