It is time to join Joyce and all of her Hodgepodgers for the Wednesday Hodgepodge. Join in HERE!
Thank you, Joyce, for hosting us!!
Hodgepodge Questions-Volume 377
1. The sweetness of summer...where have you found it recently? If you're in the Southern hemisphere, feel free to tell us about the sweetness you're finding in winter. I have found sweetness in friendships here in Blogland, and in being able to go to church in person these past four weeks. We have had hard things to get through and dear friends have helped with cards and prayers and comforting words. Joe lost his younger brother and I got through knee surgery and physical therapy. But life is so sweet in spite of sad things and this pandemic. God is so good all the time!! I find great sweetness in Jesus all year long!
2. Take your sweet time, sweet tooth, home sweet home, short but sweet, the sweet smell of success, sweet talk...choose a sweet idiom and tell us how it fits your life currently? I will choose a sweet tooth. I could usually care less about sweets. I am more of a salty and crunchy-aholic but all of Joe's teeth are sweet teeth and I have been eating way too much of the candy he brings into the house. Not good at all!!
3. Sweet as honey, sweet as sugar, or sweet as pie, which phrase do you use when a sweet phrase is called for? What's the last sweet treat you indulged in? I don't usually say any of those things but perhaps I have said as sweet as honey once or twice. I had a mini-snickers bar most recently, compliments of Joe's latest bag of mini candy bars.
2. Take your sweet time, sweet tooth, home sweet home, short but sweet, the sweet smell of success, sweet talk...choose a sweet idiom and tell us how it fits your life currently? I will choose a sweet tooth. I could usually care less about sweets. I am more of a salty and crunchy-aholic but all of Joe's teeth are sweet teeth and I have been eating way too much of the candy he brings into the house. Not good at all!!
3. Sweet as honey, sweet as sugar, or sweet as pie, which phrase do you use when a sweet phrase is called for? What's the last sweet treat you indulged in? I don't usually say any of those things but perhaps I have said as sweet as honey once or twice. I had a mini-snickers bar most recently, compliments of Joe's latest bag of mini candy bars.
4. The first thing that comes to mind when you hear the word fidget? Joe!! Joe is a fidgeter. He can't sit still for very long, at all. He has adult attention deficit disorder (diagnosed) and just cannot sit still. If he has to sit still and can't fidget or move around he will close his eyes and sleep (happens in church!). I feel so bad for him because his discomfort is real (even when it makes me nuts at times). Like his doctor told him... it is what it is and there is no medication he can take because of his heart medications. We just have to cope.
5. Share with us one of your favorite childhood travel memories. I have written about our summer vacations at the fishing camp in Ontario, Canada but I have not written about our weekend "adventures". My dad loved to load us in the car and "take a ride" on the weekends. The rides were always into the country, sometimes on a road that had a little creek flowing over it that made us squeal with delight when he drove through it, and always ended up at Sagar's Dairy for ice cream. My brother and I loved those rides. Dad always got black walnut ice cream, Mom always got butter pecan, Randy always got raspberry, and I always got chocolate. In the summer, we had a pontoon boat (made by my dad in our backyard) on Rocky Fork Lake and spent Saturdays there for picnics and boat rides and fishing. The aunts and uncles and cousins usually came and we had so much fun. It really doesn't take much to make lasting memories.
Here is a link to Rocky Fork Lake today. Of course, we were there 60 years ago!
Our boat was named "5-Ks" because Tammy wasn't born yet to make us six Ks.
6. Insert your own random thought here. Thinking about my childhood and my amazing parents just makes me feel so very blessed. I enjoy "going back" to those days and reflecting on the fact that even though we were not rich and didn't have a magazine-beautiful home, we had love and everything we needed. Dad worked hard and later Mom worked too to make sure we had food and clothing and a safe place to live. I wish I could tell them today how much those days meant to me and all of us. How much I appreciate them and what we had. We lost them much too soon (dad 63 and mom 65), both to cancer. They should have had so many more years to enjoy retirement and their grandchildren. They laid the foundation that made us who we are today and that foundation is strong!! Blessed!!
Thanks for visiting today!
Peace & hugs! God bless!!



You definitely had a blessed 'growing up' time and are still blessed today. Sometimes we forget to be thankful for what is behind, as well as what is today. Have a great Wednesday.
ReplyDeleteSo many cancers that our parents died with way too young would be preventable today. It stinks!
ReplyDeleteI have a mama that can't sit still. She is on the move all the time, so I know what that is like. She however has no clue:)
I also tend to like the salty snacks over sweet, but Jeff brings in stuff too.
I love sweets and am trying so hard not to indulge in an entire bag! I don't know if kids today would appreciate the type of childhood I experienced...hard working parents, doing chores, etc. but it was the best times ever! I fidget all the time.
ReplyDeleteI love sweets too. Your weekend drives sound fun.
ReplyDeleteHave a great day!
Such wonderful memories you have, Terri. Thanks for sharing those "sweet" times with us here today. And yes, like you, I'm more of a salty snack person, but I do love some chocolate now and again.
ReplyDeleteBlessings!
Such sweet memories, Terri. I didn't know such a disease exists (adult attention deficit disorder). Gosh, where I have been living, under a rock? (smiles)
ReplyDeleteHave a beautiful day friend.
In many ways, we lived in the GOOD old days. I miss them every now and then.
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed your answers today as usual.
ReplyDeleteHave a good Wednesday.
These posts always make me reflect back on earlier times which I enjoy, at this point in my life.... good memories, good times, and a good place to enjoy a child hood.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful childhood memories, Terri! Like you, I mostly go for salty/crunchy snacks -- unless Tom has the audacity to bring home a bag of Reese's. (I wasn't feeling very sweet this week, so opted out.) I don't think Tom's much of a figiter, but then he's always sucking on one of his darned pipes, unless he's in church and yep ... he, too, falls asleep.
ReplyDeleteIts so sad to think of people that dont to get enjoy the long life of retirement & seeing their family legacies.
ReplyDeleteJoe needs a fidget spinner :)
Hello, old friend. It's nice to be able to revisit you again. I'm sorry about Joe's brother. For a moment, I held my breath thinking it was Joe. Big sigh of relief!
ReplyDeleteWe were able to go back to church a few times, then our numbers began to rise quickly, so Ed and I opted for watching on FB again. Right after that, we had 2 cases of virus at our church, which was a low count compared to some of our area churches. The numbers are rising, still, so we're staying home for now. Take care!
Kathy (Reflections)
If you see this reply, Kathy, please send me a link to your blog again. The only one I found is from 2017. I am so happy to see you here!!
DeleteMy hubs has that too - but he doesn't fidget persay - he just jumps from thing to thing and gets nothing done. A lot started tho.
ReplyDeleteI like sweet too much!
You are sweet as honey.
Love, sandie
Terri, I'm sorry for your loss. I'll add Joe & family to my prayers. I definitely have a sweet tooth! Love your memories! PS I have a brother named Randy too.
ReplyDeleteMy sweet tooth goes to a Payday candy bar...that is peanutty and sweet at the same time, and I can eat it because it isn't chocolate. Chocolate makes me feel sick. (but I like it, just don't dare eat more than one little piece). I didn't Joe has ADD. That must be frustrating to him. I enjoyed hearing about your childhood memories and the rides/ice cream, etc. Precious memories. You were blessed. I am sorry your folks didn't live too long. It would be sad to miss out on retirement after working so long for it. But they have a home in glory land that outshines the sun...and someday you will be there with them for ever. So thankful this world is not our final home. Take care and enjoy your summer days.
ReplyDeleteI would love to talk to my mom and tell her how much I appreciated her and my upbringing. I'm lucky to have my Dad yet, and have told him.
ReplyDeleteI am a fidgeter too. I can't just sit and do nothing but watch tv...
I've really enjoyed reading the travel memories in the HP today. They are all different but similar in feel and make me a little nostalgic for simpler times. I almost answered hubs for that question too : )
ReplyDeleteI love hearing about your family adventures and boating. We were a farm family and never went on any vacation until I was around ten years old. That was a weekend trip to the Poconos. Later, after we moved off the farm and my dad was a pastor we started giving "family programs" and sometimes made weekend trips to Northern PA. We always had lots of big family gatherings, so I have many fond childhood memories from those fun times.
ReplyDelete