Thursday, January 9, 2014

Thankful Thursday!

Last night was my DAR meeting. I feel so blessed to be able to participate in the meetings now.  My boss wants staff to be involved in the community, so I can take an extra hour at lunch, or leave an hour early on meeting days.  Our Lakeland DAR Chapter usually meets at lunchtime, but three times during the year, we meet at 4:30.

The program was done by our Lakeland Police Department's K9 officers.  Those dogs are so beautiful!! They ran one of the dogs, Bane, through his paces, and (of course) he responded perfectly to hand signals and to the Dutch language commands.  We learned that the dogs cost around $9,000 each and they all come from Europe.  One member wanted to know why, and the officer told us it is because the Shepherds here in the United States have been in-bred and many suffer from hip-dysplasia making them not suitable for police work.  Our police department has nine dogs, and they are national champions for the second year in a row. Lakeland proud!!



We got to pet Bane, after they were done with their demonstration. I just wanted to hug him, but of course that didn't happen!!  Smart, smart, smart and very beautiful dog.

That's all I have to share today.  Working hard to get caught up at work, and our flooring won't be in until January 22nd, so we have some time to get the painting done! Whew!

I appreciate you stopping by and leaving a comment!! Peace, love & hugs!


14 comments:

  1. I would so love to have seen this demonstration!!! But, Dutch Language commands, I'm not sure what that is....speaking Dutch?!!! Wow. Impressive. And such a beautiful creature.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great and informative meeting.
    Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very neat that you got to see that. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a great time! Have a blessed day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. First, how is your back? Secondly, I would love to have seen the demonstration of the police dogs. Animals are so much smarter than humans give them credit for! Have a good Thursday and hoping you get caught up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My back is better. The pain is moving some from the adjustments. I'm trying to not go back to the chiropractor, as long as it keeps improving. I'm starting to do some stretches, and I think that is helping. Thanks for asking!

      Delete
  6. Looks like a wonderful demonstration. Glad you were able to go!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful dogs, shepherds. So handsome and smart.

    One funeral down, another tomorrow and finally a wedding.

    xo

    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, what a beautiful dog. Our neighbors used to have a German Shepherd!! HOPE you're staying warm and have an AWESOME day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always thought it was German they used. Here I've heard them give commands in English like 'sit'. Thanks, Terri. I learned something new.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brenda, they also use German. It depends on where they come from and what they are used to. Bane was 18 months old when he joined our K9 unit.

      Delete
  10. That must have been fun and interesting to watch. Those dogs are very expensive but they do amazing work. They are very pretty dogs too. I enjoyed this post. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  11. Here's an interesting fact for you that my husband and I discovered a couple of weeks ago when we were cleaning some stuff in the basement. He saw a DAR pin and asked whose it was. I told him it was mine from high school because I was the female who got the DAR award. He said he also received one in his school in high school. Makes sense he should have gotten one, too cuz he is even nicer than me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I enjoyed your post, and I'm sure you enjoyed the K-9 demonstration! They are amazing animals, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete