Hodgepodge Questions-Volume 160
1. It's been said that one small positive thought in the morning can change your whole day. Do you think that's true? Do you find that an easy exercise most mornings? What's something positive you told yourself today? If you missed that boat, what's something positive you could tell yourself tomorrow? I do believe a small positive thought in the morning can start the day off on the right foot. I am a morning person, so it is usually easy for me to start out positive, and most mornings, as I sit up on the side of the bed, my first thought is "thank You, Jesus, for another day". I try to make my mornings prayerful and say my prayers on the way to work. I find that to be an excellent way to start any day!
2. There will be karaoke at the next party you attend...are you in? Or will you be faking a sore throat? I have very little range, so most songs are not in my key. I can sing harmony with someone, though. First alto is a little high for me these days, but I can do okay if I have the music in front of me. For the most part, I would listen and cheer others on at a karaoke party, and everyone would thank me for it!
3. January 29th is National Puzzle Day...what's something you've found puzzling recently? I am always puzzled at why boys want to show their underwear and have their pants hanging off their butts. They have trouble walking and look so silly pulling them up every few steps, to keep them from hitting the ground. Shaking my head, and wondering why this is still 'popular'. Won't get into politics and how puzzling (maddening) things are in Washington right now.
4. Jigsaw, crossword, acrostic, logic, sudoku, word search...what's your favorite kind of puzzle, and when did you last work one? I will do a word search puzzle now and then, and have the game app on my phone. I will work on a jigsaw at someone else's house, but we have five cats, so there are none in our house. Generally, I don't do puzzles. Joe does the word jumble every morning, in the newspaper, though.
5. Recently a writer by the name of Amy Glass ruffled feathers with a post she wrote saying she looks down on young women with husbands and kids and she's not sorry. Among other things, she says women will be equal with men when we stop saying house work and real work are equally important. You can read the whole piece by clicking here. What say you? Do you think men and women are equal in the 21st century? Why or why not? I hadn't heard of her or her blog before, but did go read what she had to say. There is some validity to her comments, such as this one: "Doing laundry will never be as important as being a doctor or an engineer or building a business. This word play is holding us back." I don't think the "word play" is holding women back. Not even sure what she really means by that. Doctors and engineers still have laundry to do. When it comes to raising kids, though, she may be off base a bit. Since I don't have kids, though (my boys were grown up when they became my boys), and have always worked outside the home, my experience is a little different. Women still do not get equal pay for equal work in most situations, which bothers me. Women who work full time, but are married (with or without kids) usually have 90% of the housework to do besides, so where is the equality at home? That could be a whole blog in and of itself. Life is about choices, though, and we choose the path we walk. Women are different from men for a reason, so there will never be total equality, like she is touting. She might be just a little confused.
6. What's a product you've noticed in the grocery store that you'd like to try, but haven't yet? If I see something I want to try, I usually get it. Nothing specific comes to mind right now.
8. Insert your own random thought here. Do any of you have a Guardian Angel story to share? This came up in a conversation I had with a friend last week. I believe in my GA and have actually seen her. I will make that my blog topic for tomorrow, but I would really be interested in hearing about your experience, if you are willing to share (today or tomorrow!). The Bible is full of references, and my favorite is: Psalms 91:11 - For he shall give his angels charge over thee, to keep thee in all thy ways. Notice the "911"...which is how I remember it. Call on your Angel in any emergency! Here are even more Biblical verses: Guardian Angels in the Bible
A favorite image - hanging in lots of childhood bedrooms.
This was a very thought-provoking Hodgepodge today!! I thank you for taking time to read my responses, and for your comments! Peace, love & hugs.

PS....the flooring has arrived and we are scheduled for installation on Monday. Finally. Not ideal for putting the house back in order, but I am not complaining. It's here!
ReplyDeleteAWESOME HP today! Loved your answers, love your new blog look here and can't wait to see the new floors. Blessings
ReplyDeleteGreat answers. Yay on getting the flooring! Can't wait to see pics after its installed
ReplyDeleteThought provoking questions today and your answers are very good. I do believe in angels because the Bible speaks of them and whatever is in the Bible is true. Bet you are very excited about the flooring and cant wait to see it. Hugs!
ReplyDeleteI like your answer about what puzzles you. I can't figure that out either. I also like what you said about angels and am waiting to read tomorrows post.
ReplyDeleteYay for the flooring!
Yes! I do have a guardian angel. She's amazing. We also have angels watching over our family. I'll have to share with you about that sometime. We are so similar on some of our answers today! That means I"m in good company. :)
ReplyDeleteI'm a morning person as well. Love that. Looking forward to seeing the new floor.
ReplyDeleteI agree with #3. How do their mothers let them out of the house like that?
ReplyDeleteAlthough I don't particularly enjoy seeing the underwear hanging out, I realize following fashion, no matter how stupid or uncomfortable it may be, is important for young people. I know I wore mini-skirts in the snow, bell bottoms and platform shoes although after falling off them three times, I stopped wearing the shoes.
ReplyDeleteI look forward to reading your guardian angel post.
I do believe in angels.
ReplyDeleteI wish I was a morning person - I used to be one and now I want to stay up.
I don't do karaoke but I would love too.
Love, sandie
I think what riled people up most in her remarks was the notion that parenting is not 'real work'. I personally think it takes all kinds to make the world interesting, and wish these very vocal critics would stop condemming women for their choices, whatever those choices may be. Hope your day is lovely!
ReplyDeleteI agree with you, Joyce! Parenting is not an easy thing to do, and I truly believe that children who have a parent home with them, especially during their pre-school days, fare better in the world. Raising children and keeping a home is real HARD work.
DeleteHappy about your flooring, Terri. Always fun to read everyone's answers to Hodge Podge.
ReplyDeleteThe thing with the pants originated in men's prisons according to something I read. Wearing your pants low with your underwear showing meant you were available to be someone's "girlfriend". If the young boys today knew that, they might pull up their drawers since it is not a macho thing like they think!
ReplyDeletePeople do get caught up in the equality thing and there is justification for some of it - - - but if anyone is doing the job God called them to do, then it shouldn't be faulted. Raising children is an honor and a privilege and one of the highest callings on earth - - - even if the mundane-ness of some of it will wear you out.
I can probably think of many instances when a guardian angel protected me/us. The one that often comes to mind is when we were children and my dad was driving us home at night from a friend's picnic. He had drunk too much and kept falling asleep at the wheel. We kept waking him up and he kept telling us kids to quit yelling at him. Of course, we did not stop shouting, "Daddy, wake up," as we saw him nod a bit and the car swerve.
That picture of the angel and the children has always been a favorite of mine.
ReplyDeleteProbably I should go back and read the article, but I guess I always get a little riled up when people decide what is "real work." Having worked outside the home for 45 years, I guess I had it pretty good with a husband who helped me with housework and laundry. My brother is an executive and he faithfully helps his wife every day. Interesting since we grew up in a home where Dad did his job, and the house was women's work.
I agree with you about the pants.
I agree, this was an extra good Hodgepodge today. I remember when I had cats how they would push the puzzle pieces around or off the table! I don't have any guardian angel stories but I'm looking forward to reading yours. The only incident kind of like that was when my dad died, I dreamed about him looking very happy, smiling and laughing and when I woke up I felt like he was telling me he was OK. It made me feel better.
ReplyDeleteWhat a fun post. I do believe in the power of positive thinking and in the power of prayer. I know in times of great stress positive thinking and prayer not only go hand in hand, but they both go a long way too. I would consider singing karaoke. Ava and I sing all the time at home and on her Glee karaoke games she has for the Wii. And we are actually pretty good at it. lol I do puzzles too. Sometimes jigsaw, but more often Sudoku, Word finds, Crossword puzzles and the daily jumbles in the newspaper too and a few other type of puzzles. I didn't read the article on that ladies blog yet. I have to say I am pretty fortunate to work for someone who does value my worth and pays well, however I know that is not always the case, and more often times it is not the case at all. I do find it sad people (both women and men) do not typically value the role of a stay at home Mom. It is definitely undervalued. Managing a home, family, etc. is a balance and it does require planning. Staying home for your family isn't all some people think it is cracked up to be. When you have children you are always on the clock. At a job you often times have a start time and a finish time. Being a Mom is 24/7 you don't just get to clock out from that. I think someday if this woman ever has a family to care for and children of her own, she might have a different outlook on life. Especially when you don't get a paycheck at the end of the week for being a parent and running a household. I don't think the pay of an individual should ever be based on gender, ethnicity, etc. I think it should be based on experience, education, capability and even attitude and the willingness to learn and advance in a company.
ReplyDeleteI always love reading your Hodgepodge answers! I'm a morning person too. When I wake up I try to think of something that is going to be good about the day or something that I am looking forward to. I love to sing but I have an awful voice..I would scare the entire bar right out the doors..haha.
ReplyDeleteI agree with your answer to #3 whole-heartedly!
ReplyDeleteDo you ever want to run up to one of these guys and give a little tug on their pants and run off .... I kinda do. Its a little evil thought that makes me smile for no apparent reason ;)
ReplyDelete