Saturday, May 3, 2025

This week's Saturday 9...

 Thanks to Crazy Sam for today's questions!  You can join the fun HERE!


Georgia on My Mind





Welcome to Saturday: 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks, we do "random questions," so to speak. We encourage you to visit other participants' posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love memes, however, and here is today's meme!


Saturday 9: Georgia on My Mind (1978)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.


1) These lyrics refer to "an old sweet song." What old sweet song is a favorite of yours?  Lots of the old-time hymns and many of the Motown songs from the '60s.
 
2) Composer Hoagy Carmichael said he was inspired by saxophonist Frankie Trumbauer to write a song about Georgia. In those days, bands traveled by bus, and Frankie enjoyed rolling through Georgia. Hoagy recalled that Frankie even volunteered the first two words, "Georgia, Georgia ..." If we were to organize a Saturday 9 bus trip, where would you recommend we go for lovely scenery?  Just come on down to Central Florida!  But fall in the mountains is hard to beat.
 
3) This version of "Georgia on My Mind" was controversial before it was even recorded. Willie Nelson's label, Columbia, didn't see the point of their outlaw country star singing an old standard that was associated with Ray Charles and Ella Fitzgerald. Willie had the last laugh. This record was a hit, and Willie won a Grammy. Tell us about a time when you were a success despite opposition.  I am not coming up with anything.  
 
4) While it's at odds with his "outlaw" image, Willie was a popular and active high school student. He played three sports and was a member of Future Farmers of America. What school activities did you participate in during your teen years?  I was in marching and concert bands, yearbook staff, was a library aide, on the track team, and was voted most talented senior girl for art and music.  
 
5) Willie once worked as a tree trimmer, so clearly he didn't suffer from acrophobia. How about you? Do you have a fear of heights?  No, I am not afraid of heights. 
 
6) He wrote the lyrics to one of his biggest hits, "On the Road Again," during a flight, using the airplane barf bag as scrap paper. That was back in 1980. In 2025, do you handwrite onto note paper, or do you make all your "notes to self" digitally?  I use both digital and paper.  I also have a whiteboard in the kitchen for quick grocery lists that I later transfer to a grocery list app on my phone.

7) In 1978, when Willie was singing "Georgia on My Mind," audiences were flocking to see the movie Grease. What's your favorite song from GreaseI don't know that any are a favorite, but I like Hopelessly Devoted and Summer Nights...

8) Also in 1978, Karina Smirnoff was born. After spending her early years in the Ukraine, she came to America and found success on Dancing with the Stars. Are you a DWTS fan?  I used to love watching it for the first few seasons.  I have been thinking that I would enjoy checking in again.  It just seemed to become more glitzy and not as fun as it was in the beginning. 
 
9) Random question: Do you ever carry a backpack?  I do own a backpack and carried it a couple of weeks ago when Mali and I went to Fort De Soto Park.  I got it "free" for joining the NRA.  I didn't buy it, but I am happy to have it.

Peace and Hugs!

 O mother's love, so blest and true,
That guides and keeps our lifetime through,
Through sacrifice and service dear,
Its depths of sweetness shine more clear.
It is to us a precious gift
That lives to bless and bends to give;
With lifted hearts we send above
Our gratitude for mother's love.

11 comments:

  1. I have had enough of this new AI stuff...my browser updated to the new AI Genesis...anyways, I used to have a backpack and now I use a purse. Have a great day, Terri.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like Willie Nelson and can hear a lot of these songs in my head now. I always enjoyed Georgia on my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like Willie Nelson and many of his songs including this one. Like you, I like the older hymns and many of the Motown sounds from the 60s. I also like country music, but prefer the ones from the 60s to 80s. I do have a backpack from my teaching days and have used it a few times since then. Happy Saturday, Terri!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do love that song, Terri, as you can probably figure as we live in Georgia - LOL! I like Willie's songs, too. Have a blessed Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. No one thought our marriage would endure but it has! I am very afraid of heights, unfortunately!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had a spelling error.
    I said I used to have Georgia On My Mind as my ringtone - I had forgotten that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never used to have any qualms about heights. Not sure what happened, but I'm less likely to court or climb -- these old bones don't bounce. Never was a fan of Dancing with the Stars, but Tom enjoys the music.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Florida does have its beauty. I always liked it the most first thing in the morning. It always seemed so fresh and bright. DWTS is not the same at all these days. Enjoy your Sunday, Terri, it was nice stopping by to read your answers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your dancing avatar . . .and now all of those songs are playing in my head!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm a huge Motown fan. I almost posted "Kiss And Say Goodbye."

    I live in the mountains, so I agree. Fall in the mountains, winter, summer, spring, they're all wonderful!

    This was a fun post! I'll be back. (You've been warned.) Lol

    ReplyDelete