Thanks to our hostess, Joyce!! Join the fun HERE!
Hodgepodge Questions-Volume 659
2. What song always reminds you of summer? Ricky Nelson's Travelin' Man. See below for the explanation.
3. What's something you remember about your childhood summers? When I was 9 years old, the summer after third grade, I got a season pass to the city swimming pool. Travelin' Man, by Ricky Nelson, played over and over on the juke box. The teenage girls stood at the juke box and just kept feeding it nickels for the same song. I still know all the words, and can smell chlorine every time I hear that song! My nickel bought me a frozen Milky Way candy bar!! Do you think kids today get to enjoy summer the way you did as a child? No, sadly, they don't. Elaborate. The 1950s were a different time. Today, a nine-year-old girl would not be riding her bike in a bathing suit, by herself, to the swimming pool, which was a good three miles away. Mom didn't have a car because Dad had it at work, and there were two other little ones at home. I'm not saying bad things didn't happen, but it was a safer time for kids back then. I've been pretty independent for as long as I can remember, because I was out and about and on my own often.
Third grade me... and I look like my dad (below)!
4. We celebrate Father's Day on June 21st. Do you favor your dad in looks or temperament? Tell us something about your dad. Or your husband as a dad. Or a son/son-in-law as a dad. Or your grandpa. I definitely look more like my dad and the Kelly side of the family. I chuckle when I tell people that I take after my dad... I'm tall, I have his bad arthritic joints, big feet, and a flat chest! He wasn't always the most patient parent, so there is that as well. He was a wonderful family man who loved his kids and his wife. We never doubted that. He worked hard for us at a job he didn't really enjoy. He was a civilian Air Force employee who managed a warehouse for guidance system parts for aircraft at the Newark Air Force Station in Newark, Ohio.
My dad... cover his hair and it looks like me.
Joe was a great dad, and I am blessed to have seen him in action during the boys' teen years and into adulthood.
I had three grandpas, which included my mom's stepdad. They were all different but loving and attentive as we grew up and into adulthood. I've been very blessed by the men in my life.
Me and my (step) Papaw James
- flip flops or sandals sandals
- beach or pool, I don't do either because of skin cancers
- watermelon or peaches, both, please!
- shorts or sundress how about capris
- iced coffee or ice-cold lemonade iced tea, please
- amusement park or water park, I'm done with both (sorry!)

I wear capris to work every day, smiles. Wishing you a lovely day, Terri and thank you for sharing your memories.
ReplyDeleteDeus caritas est!
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you've finally had some rain. We have too, but it seems we need more still. Such sweet photos with all your granddads. Most of mine are slides and I need to go through them. My siblings gave them to me to go through when we moved mom out of her house but they're still sitting in a bag. The task feels daunting. I need to tackle it I suppose but it won't be a summer job. Have a great day Terri!
ReplyDeleteI had a lot of slides to go through, too. Tears and a happy heart!! I figured out that I could take a picture of the slide, with soft daylight behind it, and they came out great with just a little cropping involved. Went fast after that!
DeleteYou absolutely take after your dad, Terri. Uncanny! I so enjoyed the photos you shared with us here and glad to know that you're finally Getting that much needed rain. Blessings!
ReplyDeleteThe humidity is murder, isn't it?! Love the A/C!! I had wonderful summers as a kid and tried to give the same to my kids; swimming, playing outside, camping under clothesline blanket tents and lots of games on rainy days!
ReplyDeleteWhat Martha said ... uncanny resemblance! I totally agree with what you said in #3 about 50's kids v. now. I don't know -- maybe we were blessed by exaggerated imaginations, but I recall making our own fun and wanting for little. Safer, yes. These times are apt to be scary.
ReplyDeleteThat's great that the rain is starting to fill up that pond.
ReplyDeleteBoy you do look like your dad. What nice family photos you shared.
I remember my grandma would tell us, that summertime meant work! They didn't have the carefree time we often think the older generations had. There was work on the farm, planting and harvesting. I'm sure they had their fun but it looked much different than ours back in the 50's, 60's 70's.
I agree with you on the AC.
Terri, your third-grade picture is adorable! Yes, you do look like your dad. You have his mouth. Those are great pictures of you with your grandparents. The pond is looking so much better and I pray we get more rain!
ReplyDeleteWow! You really do look like your dad! Your 3rd grade picture is very mature looking. Mine is rather freckled and pensive looking. They caught me in a "still" moment. LOL. Yes, our childhoods were idyllic. Those days are long gone, I'm afraid. Not only the safety issues of today, but also because kids don't know how to play outside and "make believe" and have fun. They are mostly couch potatoes with phones and ipads and video games. Very sad indeed. What a flabby generation they will be. And yes, on the Capris. I'm so happy they are in style. They are perfect for me! and yes, to Iced tea (unsweet for me, with lemon). Oh, so happy to see your "pond" filling up. Ours is still just being a huge sponge. I keep watching and waiting for it to overflow. We just aren't getting enough consistent rains to do much yet. Love the pictures of you with your grandfathers. Those are priceless!!!! Enjoyed your answers. I am still playing catch up.
ReplyDeleteI would love air conditioning here, this week is hot! Eek!
ReplyDeleteEven when I was a kid in the 80's and 90's I still had that freedom that my girls never had. The world has changed so much.
You and your dad do look so alike! Fab photos of your family!
Dear Terri, you really do look like your father. You both look fantastic.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful and heartwarming photos. 💕
I agree with you about summer - my least favorite season. You do look like your dad! Both beautiful. I had those same cat shaped glasses too!
ReplyDeleteGreat family photos! And, yep, you are your father's daughter!! Love that photo of you as well!!
ReplyDeleteI am the oddball that loves summer and you are right about the kids not having the summers we had. My goodness, I rode my bike all over Brewton. I loved the free time and always found plenty to do. Everything is so structured for kids today. They have no idea how to figure out how to entertain themselves.
ReplyDelete