Saturday, June 20, 2026

June 20th: The Saturday 9

 Thanks to Crazy Sam for today's Saturday 9!!


Welcome to Saturday: 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks, we do "random questions," so to speak. We encourage you to visit other participants' posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love memes, however, and here is today's meme!



Saturday 9: The Men in My Little Girl's Life (1965)
 
 Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here. Chosen for Father's Day.

1) In this song, a father shares the story of his daughter's life through the first boys, then the men she brought home. The first is Rod, a little kid who wants to play in the backyard. Who were your playmates when you were young? Did you find it more fun to have them over to your home or to go to theirs?  My playmates when I was very young were my siblings and my cousins.  When I was in fifth grade, neighbors were playmates.  There were 10 kids in that family, and it was constant noise and constant action.  We moved from there, and my BFF Elaine lived across the street.  We are still friends, after all these years, and I feel so blessed by her friendship more than 60 years later!!  We bounced back and forth between our homes.  I still call her mom "my other mom," and she calls me her 4th daughter.

2) Then his daughter asked if Lee could carry her books on the walk to/from school. During your junior high years, how did you travel to school (by bus, bicycle, carpool, shoe leather)?  Shoe leather!!  We lived one block from our school.
 
3) Throughout this song, the father recalls that his daughter alternately called him "Daddy," "Dad," "Popsie," "Pop," and "Father." How did/do you address your father? He was always Dad.  We lost him to cancer in 1989.  He was only 63.
 
4) The song ends with the daughter asking her father to babysit. When did you last look after someone else's child?  If grandkids count, it was a long time ago.  They are 37 and 30 this year.
 
5) This record was a Top 10 hit in the US, and it made the Top 20 in Canada. Much of its success was attributed to Mike Douglas' TV popularity. From 1965 to 1981, he hosted a daytime talk show. Do you watch much daytime TV?  I used to watch the Mike Douglas Show and several soaps when I was much younger.  Now, I rarely watch daytime live TV.
 
6) Mike Douglas was a father himself. He had three daughters, including twins. Are there twins in your family?  Not in my immediate family, but my cousin Pam has paternal twin boys.
 
Now about Father's Day ... 
 
7) Retail chains like O'Reilly Auto Parts, Auto Zone, and Jiffy Lube are all promoting gift cards and car-related gifts for Father's Day. If you got a gift card from one of those stores, how would you upgrade your ride?  I would save it for a new battery in a year or so.  Batteries don't last much past three years here in Florida.
 
8) Dick's Sporting Goods also enjoys a spike in gift card sales around Father's Day. Have you more recently given or received a gift cardI gave gift cards to my two sisters for their June birthdays.  They weren't for car parts!!

9) In days gone by, ties were the #1 Father's Day gift. But as today's workplace has become more casual, fragrance has taken over the top spot. Dove Men+Care offers gift sets with shampoo/conditioner, body wash, and antiperspirant. Think about your shower routine. Are your shampoo, body wash, and antiperspirant all the same brand or the same scent?  No, and I don't do heavy fragrances.  Neither did Joe, because we were both sensitive to heavy scents.

Wishing all the dads a Happy Father's Day tomorrow!


Peace and Hugs!

Thanks, Dad, and I
hope you hear this in Heaven!

14 comments:

  1. I can't believe I am the first commenter . . .probably because I am awake in the middle of the night (morning)! I enjoyed your answers. Have a great Saturday!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't do heavy scents either. My bath/body wash is coconut, and I usually wear Clinique perfume. You know the humidity here, so I try to smell nice, LOL. Wishing you a beautiful day my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww! That is wonderful that you are still friends with your childhood friend.
    I remember the walk to and from school when I was younger, it was a 20 minute walk and I did it in all weather.
    One of those gift cards would be a perfect gift for my dad. He loves working on his cars!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't it a blessing to still be friends with our childhood friends? I love it.
    I always walked to school even though it was a bit far and we had to cross a major road. I didn't qualify for the bus cause we lived right in the village. (central part of NYS). I now live in the suburbs of our state's capital, south of Saratoga and north of Albany so my daughters had to take the bus. Dave drove them once they got to HS as they often missed the bus (it came at 6:30 AM!!).

    I can't do heavy scents either. I like very light citrus or other fruity scents that are light like cherry blossom, peach, coconut if not too strong.

    I hope you have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw your comment on my blog about both of us being relatively young adults when our dads died at somewhat young ages. We do, indeed, have some similar life experiences and both of us readily acknowledge that the Lord has helped us through it all. Have a blessed weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. that's a blast from the past! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Karl and Josh cannot use heavy scents either. I am sorry you missed out on some of your dad time. 63 is young. I love that you are still friends with Elaine. My friend Shannon and I had kept in touch too. He would come over and visit when I would go see my mom and dad. He even spent an evening with my son Josh. He was more of a blessing to me than I ever thought. When my dad passed away, it was Shannon that was calling and messaging me to make sure I was ok. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I prefer softer and lighter scents. I can't handle the strong fragrances. Your childhood sounds charming with so many playmates - cousins and neighbors. I didn't grow up near any of my cousins so we barely know each other. And daytime television - The tv does not go on till just before dinner. The sound of a television in the daytime kind of depresses me. I like music better or just the sound of birds. It just reminds me of being sick and couped up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We only lived in one place where I could walk to school; the rest of the time, we took the bus or dad drove us. I sure do miss my dad, especially around Father's Day. Have a beautiful weekend, Terri!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is such a good song. That's amazing that you and Elaine are still friends after all these years. What a testament to your bond, and your faithfulness. There were five of us who met in high school, we joined the same group in the 9th grade and we're still close today! I walked to school too, unless I rode my bike, or in high school was able to borrow my mom's car.
    Have a great rest of your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is so cool, you and Elaine being 'besties' all these years! Until my senior year, my 'transport' was shoe leather (even in snow) -- and we lived almost a mile away. It never occurred to me to feel sorry for myself.
    PS - No heavy fragrances here, either. Especially anything floral.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't like heavy scents, either. And please be very careful if you wear ANY scent in the summer! The wasps love perfumes and colognes! LOL! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I liked your answers. Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete