Saturday, February 14, 2026

February 14th: The Saturday 9 Valentine

 Thanks to Crazy Sam for today's questions.  You can join in HERE!


Won't You Be My Valentine?


Welcome to Saturday: 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random questions," so to speak. We encourage you to visit other participants' posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love memes, however, and here is today's meme!

 
Saturday 9: Won't You Be My Valentine? (1961)
 
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
 
1) Dore Alpert sings that while he considered asking others to be his Valentine, he's sure that this is the girl he wants to love "forever more." What do you think is the secret of a long-lasting romantic relationship?  Trust, respect, and LOVE, of course!!  Communicate!!

2) Dore is better known as Herb Alpert. He used the name "Dore" early in his career because he thought it was more befitting a teen idol than "Herb." Who made you swoon when you were a teenager?  Actually, Herb Alpert!! I played trumpet and thought he was amazing.  Also, Paul Peterson.  
 
3) Herb found he was a better trumpeter than singer. Between 1962 and 1969, Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass, had 12 consecutive gold albums. They were so popular that in 1966, they sold more records than Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, The Beatles and the Rolling Stones. Of those artists (Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, The Beatles and the Rolling Stones), which is your favorite?  The Rolling Stones, but Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass was my first concert.  I was 15 and went with my mom (who also played trumpet in high school).

4) He found his greatest success as an executive. Herb and partner Jerry Moss founded A&M Records and signed an array of talented artists, including Cheech and Chong, The Carpenters, and Cat Stevens. Herb was happy to step away from performing and run the record label. Are you comfortable in front of an audience or crowd? Or would you prefer to be behind the scenes?  I am not comfortable in front of a crowd.  I am now and always have been a behind-the-scenes girl.

5) Karen admitted that when The Carpenters were first signed by A&M, she had a crush on Herb and liked his aftershave lotion. Do you usually wear a fragrance?  No perfume for me, and Joe didn't wear cologne.  Strong scents give me massive headaches, especially flower-based.  I can't walk near a gardenia bush.  I have moved seats so often because someone sits near, loaded with perfume.  Can't do it. 

This is our Valentine's Day Saturday 9 and so this morning we shall focus on the holiday. 


6) The holiday is also known as The Feast of St. Valentine. Do you have a special meal planned for February 14? 
Nope.  February 16th is the fifth anniversary of Joe's passing from covid.  Valentine's Day is just another day now.

7) Thames River Cruises offers special dinner cruises for Valentine's Day that give lovers a view of London. Some cruises offer live jazz, others classical music. Which would you prefer: jazz or classical?  Jazz.
 
8) Women buy and send more Valentine's Day gifts than men do. Who received the last greeting card you sent?  Joe did, in 2020.

9) Men buy and send more roses on Valentine's Day than women do. What's your favorite flower? 
I always say daisies.  Simple, no scent, plentiful, and inexpensive.  But I prefer the flowers be left in the garden.
Peace and Hugs!

Happy Valentine's Day to all who are celebrating!

12 comments:

  1. Happy Valentine's Day, Terri. I am sorry you have allergies to strong scents. I have a friend that takes meds all the time because a lot of scents (not even perfume) put her on sensory overload and she gets terrible headaches.
    I, on the other hand, have almost no sense of smell. I was following a pool truck one day in heavy traffic---hot day--- and had my air conditioning on. The truck was leaking chemicals. It came in through my AC and burned as I breathed it in. I didn't realize for hours that I had lost almost all sense of smell. Good and bad --mostly NOT good.
    I knew Joe had passed but forgot it was during Covid. What an awful thing to endure.
    Hugs and Happy Valentine's Day. We don't celebrate it...xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry that scents give you headaches. I love candles and different scents.
    I'll behave myself with perfume when we come! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Strong fragrances affect me adversely, too, Terri. I loved Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass growing up and actually had one of his LPs. I did know that he "discovered" The Carpenters, but didn't realize that Karen had a crush on him. Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cannot wear or have as a scent in my house the flower scents. They give me a headache too. I can wear a soft flower fragrance like the one I posted. I mostly have food scents as candles in my house. It is funny...the real flowers do not give me a headache. Loved your answers! Happy Valentine's Day!

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sorry about Joe, and I know you still miss him.
    Oh, my goodness, my daughter and I have the same issues with flowers and perfume. Headaches for me migraines for Kelly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm right there with you on cut flowers ... cologne, too. I wonder why no-one ever seemed to talk/complain about that sort of thing back in the 50's or 60's. Same with cigarette smoke! Communication -- or lack thereof -- is one of my big boiling points.
    60 years ago I might have said The Beatles (Rolling Stones a close second), but now that 'honor' goes to Dean Martin.

    ReplyDelete
  7. #1 Agreed, communication is so important, as well as respect.
    #2 Did you have Herb Alpert’s album with the photo on the cover with the gal dressed in whipped cream? And yes, Paul Peterson was a good-looking guy, too!
    #3 Of those artists, none were a real FAV, but I did like Herb Alpert and some of the Beatles songs (but not all by any means).
    #4 I have been in front of the crowd in my younger adult days but now I’m much more content as a supportive behind-the-scenes gal.
    #5 My experiences with scents are similar to yours.
    #6 Gary made waffles for breakfast and I made sloppy joes for lunch. In between that we are enjoying the large box of chocolates he gave to me. Hmm. Joe and the 5th anniversary. Gary went thru his late wife’s 5th anniversary of passing on January 27th. It was a very hard time for so many of us. The Lord has brought us through.
    #7 Classical
    #8 Valentine? Gary, today. Other greeting cards? My granddaughter last week for her 11th birthday.
    #9 Roses, any color.
    Blessings, comfort and peace, dear Terri.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had that whipped cream album and several others!!

      Delete
  8. Your answer for #1 was so right, especially the communicate part!
    I am ashamed to say I have never heard of Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass! I think I should have with how well the did in comparison to people like Frank Sinatra and The Beatles!
    Sending love and hugs. Thinking of you with the anniversary of Joe's passing coming up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I also cannot tolerate fragrances anymore. They didn't bother me when I was a teenager and the boys wore things like "Canoe, British Sterling, or Brute" colognes. But I can't stand any of them now and especially not women's colognes/perfume/most air fresheners/scented candles. I do love the fragrance of fresh cut roses from the garden, but many other flowers are too strong...lilies, lilacs, gardenias, etc.
    I really don't remember Herb Alpert that much, at least not to swoon over. LOl.
    We treated ourselves to a steak dinner (cooked at home) tonight. We don't get steak very often, but our local grocery store had them on sale today and so we splurged. There's enough let of each our steaks to have a steak sandwich maybe tomorrow night. Tomorrow for lunch the kids will be here to celebrate John's birthday. I am sorry that I didn't realize that the date of Joe's passing was on the 16th, which is John's birthday. I remember when he passed away, but apparently I didn't realize in was on that particular day. I am so sorry that the date is now so close, and it's hard to believe it's been 5 years. I know you have felt every minute of it. Sending (((HUGS))) to you today and for these next few days that are very tender for you. May the Lord give you comfort and peace and only good memories. Joe was certainly a very special and dear man. You were truly blessed to have had him for so many years...and also to have Joey and Jeff and the grandchildren in your life. What a gift they have been to you! Love to you today, dear friend.

    ReplyDelete