Friday, April 11, 2025

Friday Fotos...


Going to Sebring, Florida, last Tuesday was great fun!!  My friend, Mali, and I planned this a few weeks ago.  My neighbor's daughter is visiting from New York, and I asked her to come, but her mom needed her for an appointment, so she couldn't go.  I always text one of the neighbors when I am going to be away for most of the day.  When Susan (next door) found out where we were going, she said she wanted to go there.  I told her to come on over and go with us.  She did!  

Sebring is 63 miles away from Lakeland, and it took a little more than an hour to get there.  We arrived around 10:30.

Ben and Erin (HGTV) did Hometown Takeover last year, from February through June, so it was done nearly a year ago, even though it is just now on TV.  The buildings and the park in the center of the "Circle" are just as they were done on the show.  Here are some photos I took...  (picture overload!)


There were quite a few folks on the Circle.  We took a picture of a man and a woman, and she offered to take our photo under the sign. We had a parking place right in front of the Theater.

Just a photo across the circle.


Susan with Ben and Erin.  The cutouts were everywhere and made for fun photo opportunities.

Mali with Ben and Erin.

One of many murals...


Sebring Soda was a very fun place to visit.  We went in just before we headed home.





Sophie's Cafe is where we had lunch.  It is a Cuban restaurant.  It was BUSY.  We had to wait for a table, then we waited a good while to be waited on, and another 30 minutes or so to get our food, but it was worth it.  Our meals were great.  Susan had a Cuban, Mali had a chicken sandwich, and some beans and rice that she loved.  I had a wrap that was twice as big as I expected.  We shared an order of very good plantains.  Susan wanted some empanadas, but they weren't even on the menu. Notice the round sign on the side of the building and on the TV episode, they were talked about.
The menu...


My wrap had chicken, peppers, avocado, and more...


Flowers in the center park...






Then we went to the Soda Shop.  The names of the sodas made us all chuckle.  Susan bought four bottles to take to her grandkids.  I haven't heard yet if they laughed... I am sure they will!!  Look closely at the names...

I had a dip of mint chocolate chip and a lime soda (no silly name).



We passed a shop with this in front.  The llama fur was so soft.  We all had to pet it!! 

We stopped in at the Sebring Soap Company.  This young lady was just so sweet!!  We enjoyed talking with her and we enjoyed all the amazing smells of the soaps and oils.

I bought two soaps, and the shampoo & conditioner bars.  

Sebring is right on Lake Jackson.  It was a cloudy day and was beginning to sprinkle.  I found a parking lot where we could see the lake, and Mali took this shot from the car...


We all enjoyed the day.  We got back to Lakeland around 2:30/2:45.  It was fun seeing what was done, in person.  I will say that there were a few disappointments.  Many of the shops were closed, with signs that said they were open Wednesday - Saturday (we were there on Tuesday).   Many didn't open until 11:00, and we were there earlier than that (as were many folks).  Restrooms were limited.  Sophie's had one women's room and one men's room.  Susan was lucky there, but when I went, there were three ladies in front of me waiting to use the restroom.  We were ready to leave, so I didn't wait.  There was one restroom at the Soda Shop, where I got lucky.  That is one restroom for men and women.  This sign was on the door of another place that made us laugh...


Quite a few places were closed, with signs in the windows that said "For Rent" which I found sad.  It must mean there are still some issues getting people to use the downtown Circle businesses.  But, we did enjoy our day and we talked and laughed.  It is definitely worth the trip, so go see it when you can!

Today, I am cleaning house, baking a cake, and doing prep for Anne and Paul's 50th Anniversary dinner tomorrow.  Their daughter, Mary, is coming over tomorrow afternoon to help with the decorations a bit. I told her we can't set the table too early because the cats might want to change something  LOL  I will take some pictures to share of the 50th Anniversary party!

Happy weekend!!
Peace and Hugs!

Oh Lamb of God, sweet Lamb of God,
I love the holy Lamb of God.
O wash me in His precious blood.
My Jesus Christ, the Lamb of God.

11 comments:

  1. I do hope they're able to revive the area with new businesses. Looks like you had a fun day out. Enjoy the party this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terri, even though shops were closed or didn't open until later, it sounded like you had a wonderful time. Thank you for sharing the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you had so much fun. Love the pictures. Hope you have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've really been enjoying the show and I hope they are able to keep things going. It seems like those stores should try opening by 10 because I think a lot of people like to shop by then. Glad you went to Sophies and I'm happy they are busy.
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an exciting trip! I am finding more and more empty shops when we go places but I am glad to hear you just went on to other things and didn't fuss--I like that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a lovely town and a great trip with friends, Terri. I so enjoyed seeing all your photos here today. I will have to look up that show on HGTV. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I am so happy you were able to go and see it in person. I have watched some of the episodes, but I need to watch the whole thing. I do hope it will take off and grow. The economy has been really hard for people who want to own their own businesses...I can attest to that. You need a LOT of money to keep things going, and hopefully lots of customers. Hopefully the program just being aired now will bring about a real boost to the community and they will see things start happening. I wish it wasn't so far. I'd love to go. Thanks again for sharing. I hope the anniversary party goes smoothly and beautifully for you all tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a delightful trip, in spite of the negatives. The JCPenney in our mall doesn't open until 11am, and the same with our Dillards (or is it 12 noon?). Those hours have messed up my shopping plans more than once. But as for Sebring, it looks delightful. And you had such good companions. I'm glad you got to go. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You make everything you do look like fun! Glad you went and sorry some of the stores weren't open yet. I LOVED the llamas!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a delight-full day you ladies enjoyed! Those pop bottles cracked me up, as does the signage on that door. Your wrap sounds so good; what I'd give for a good (real) Cuban coffee once more. Thanks for taking us along to Sebring!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing your fun day with us! That is sad that some of the businesses are already for rent. I think the same happened with at least one of the cute shops in Wetumpka, AL (another home town takeover).

    ReplyDelete