Thanks to Annie for continuing the Tuesday 4! You can join in HERE!!
Tuesday 4
Let's talk about Independence Day.
1. In previous times every family read the Declaration of Independence and the Bill of Rights on July 4 to keep in mind the huge price paid by a minority of patriots for freedom and liberty. What do you think about this tradition? I think it is an excellent idea, especially for kids to hear it and learn to understand it and the sacrifice our ancestors made for us to be free. They don't learn about that in school anymore. I hope you will institute it and value it. It is so important.
2. Fresh-made lemonade was a huge deal in the Midwest when Laura Ingalls Wilder was a young girl. It was a very special treat. Every family brought a dish to the town celebration. What foods and drinks will you have on this important day? Since it was yesterday, I had to work in the morning and then got home to my usual Monday afternoon/evening. It was just another day for me. No picnic, no travel, no beach. But even when Joe was alive, we rarely did anything special. If the family was here visiting, we enjoyed them and whatever they wanted to do. There was a luncheon at our clubhouse yesterday, with hamburgers and hotdogs. I didn't sign up because it started before I got home.
3. Will you be watching fireworks.. a great American tradition on this day? They are deeply rooted in the American tradition. I did not go to watch the fireworks but I have wonderful memories from when I was little and living in Ohio. Mom and Dad always took us to the local park to see the fireworks. I was 6 or 7 and my brother was a baby. Mom would put her hands over his ears for the loud ones!
4. Will your flag be out? Do you own one? My flag was out.
Quick 4th fact: Did you know that the term Commander in Chief cannot be used except in times of Congressionally declared war? A president has no authority over the military until then. Interesting fact!!

Happy Independence Day! It was pretty quiet around here except for kids in the neighborhood shooting off fireworks from the docks. We always took the kids to see the fireworks, but now we just settle in for a quiet evening.
ReplyDeleteWhoa, that sure is an interesting factoid! Given Tom's mobility issues, we also laid low this weekend and watched the fireworks from NYC. Even in my younger days, I've always been more inclined to travel on NON-holiday weekends. Only 23 more days! 😍
ReplyDeleteWe haven't done anything special for the 4th since we got our dogs. They are so scared of fireworks. I like to be home with them. I do enjoy fireworks very much though. Loved your answers! Have a nice week.
ReplyDeletehttps://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/
We had a nice weekend, not overly busy but good. Our across the cove neighbor sets off the most spectacular fireworks show over the lake every year, boaters come from all around and anchor to watch. We have prime viewing since our dock is opposite hers and it's a lot of fun.
ReplyDeleteI 'grew up' on Buckeye Lake, in Ohio, and there are fireworks from one of the islands so lots of boats anchored for that. Even prettier over the water!!
DeleteSounds like a peaceful day. Sometimes you just need to relax at home and not get caught up in the hustle bustle of things. Seems like you are entertaining or going out with friends often enough, so a quiet day would be nice.
ReplyDeleteThanks for joining in. I really enjoy reading everyone's answers and getting a glimpse into other lives.
ReplyDeleteI didn't know that fact about the title, Commander-in-Chief, Terri. Always something new to learn, isn't there? And I do love that tradition of reading the Declaration of Independence out loud with your family on July Fourth. They aren't teaching it in the schools anymore, and that's such a shame.
ReplyDeleteBlessings, and I hope you enjoyed the holiday!
Thanks for the information about the use of the term, "Commander in Chief." I did not know that.
ReplyDeleteAs for lemonade, I did not know how special it was back in the day. For our 4th of July dessert, I made Lemon Squares and Gary loved them.
I loved Mom's lemonade and I used to make it for summer holidays. Yesterday, though, we had bottles of cherry limeade for a special treat. I made pickles and baked beans, and Jasmine made burgers. We saw fireworks the weekend before. My daughter had to go to work early, so she couldn't stay up to see fireworks. I saw some on TV.
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed your answers this week.It's always fun reading what everyone has to contribute.
ReplyDelete