Thursday, October 31, 2013

Frank Lloyd Wright....

Happy Halloween!!


Lakeland is home to Florida Southern College, which has the largest collection of Frank Lloyd Wright designed buildings in the world.

Two years ago, FSC started a building project that has brought world-wide attention to our fair city and the college.  Mr. Wright designed a Usonian house and planned several for the campus, as faculty housing (back in the mid-1930s). They were never built until now.  The plans were dusted off, modernized with up-to-code heating and cooling, plumbing, etc., and one of the houses has been built, to be used as a welcome center and museum on the campus.  The public opening is tomorrow evening, and I hope to attend. I can't wait to see inside this house!

I drive right by the site every day, on my way to and from work.  It is actually only one block from the Museum.  I posted construction photos on Multiply ages ago and talked about how exciting it was.  At one time, I wanted to be an architect. I love architecture and would rather look at a magazine full of floor plans, than fashions, any day.

Here is a wonderful article from this morning's newspaper, with pictures and a little history.

http://www.theledger.com/article/20131030/NEWS/131039983?tc=cr

If you don't know who Frank Lloyd Wright is (I did a paper for art class, on his Imperial Hotel, when I was in high school:  Imperial Hotel), here is a link with his info:  Frank Lloyd Wright 

Anyway, I know some of you will be bored to tears with this, but I am excited about it, and wanted to share.  Thanks for indulging me! Thanks for stopping by!  Happy Halloween!!  Peace, love & hugs.


11 comments:

  1. I love this kind of thing too. We have a Frank Lloyd Wright home in Grand Rapids that I hear is wonderful but can you believe I've not toured it?
    I'm sure you'll have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh! Are we sisters separated at birth? hahaha I would rather look at architecture too. Many yrs. ago I took a photography course and for one assignment I chose the elementary school our daughters attended because I was fascinated with the structure.
    I'm going to go check out your FSC house. Hope you have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had no idea! That's so interesting, Terri. There's so much about FLW architecture I like, although I don't think I would have liked the person. But that can be said about a lot of the things we like, can't it - like our favorite music. FLW was from Wisconsin, as you know. And as far as architecture goes, I find I take more photos of architecture than I do of people. I'm trying to change that, but it's kinda hard. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will be sure and read this. Thanks for the link!

    xo,

    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also enjoy FLW's work although I have never seen any in person. Enjoy for me too when you do go.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoy his work and I am fully aware of this project. I hope you take pics for us. Thanks for sharing. Have a blessed day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bored! Not at all! I love architecture too, and as I've commented a few times there was a programme on Spanish TV that featured the university, because there were some Spanish students studying there. I was so disappointed that your art museum didn't make it in the programme. Enjoy your visit. i'm off to celebrate a friend's birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoy his work. I used to have a few books on him. Can't wait to see pics of the Welcome Center

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would love to see some of his architecture. My father-in-law is an architect and at this point in time, my oldest son wants to be one. He loves to design and he likes looking through his grandpa's architecture books. I know there are some of his works in WI which would be a doable trip some day. How exciting for you to see this! Have fun and post some pics if you can.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Count me in with those above! I love architecture! I've always loved looking at buildings and floor plans - I used to draw my own floor plans until my son took over and did a better job. He's an architect now and one of his favorites is Mr. Wright. Thank you for sharing this article, I'm going to share it with my son.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm a native Central Floridan and never knew that Frank Lloyd Wright ever had anything built in my home State. That is fascinating! Unfortunately, I have no gift of designing architecture but, like you, I also admire beauty and talent when constructing buildings. It's fun to look at homes and tastefully designed gardens (they give me ideas, much to my husband's chagrin). :) So, I can understand the love of beauty. Good post. I really enjoyed it.
    God bless. ~:)

    ReplyDelete