Wednesday, September 16, 2020

The Wednesday Hodgepodge...

 Joyce gives us the questions and we link up with other Hodgepodgers HERE!


Hodgepodge Questions-Volume 386




From this Side of the Pond


1. What's one thing you learned at the ripe old age of whatever age you are now? 
That age is just a number (68) but we do have to slow down a bit.  Am learning that the hard way!

2. I read here a list of foods that can help you look younger-

extra virgin olive oil, green tea, fatty fish, dark chocolate, vegetables, flaxseeds, pomegranates, avocados, tomatoes, spices, bone broth

How many of the foods listed have you tried? Six.  How many do you eat regularly?  Four.  Your favorite from the list?  I use EVOO all the time and love veggies.  A few years ago I was eating lots of pomegranates but haven't in a while.  I love tomatoes and have them a few times a week in some form or another.

3. Something you miss from the 'good old days'?  Apple orchards.  When were the good old days anyway?  We moved to Florida 31 years ago and left apple orchards behind.  We traded them for citrus groves but I surely do miss apple orchards during the Fall. 

4. What are two or three of the most rewarding things to be found in growing older?  I worry less and am at peace with my life.  I think we miss being at peace with life when we are younger and working and raising families, etc.  I love the peace in our home now.

5. What's your favorite part of your life right now?  Being retired and being at peace in my faith and with my life. I am blessed.

6. Insert your own random thought here.  I am just so glad the Hodgepodge is back!  I enjoy this Wednesday meme and think it is the one high spot in this pandemic 2020 crazy time we are all living through!! Thank you, Joyce, for bringing it back!


Your visit is appreciated!
Peace & hugs!  God bless!!








23 comments:

  1. I loved all of your answers today.
    Being retired is great.
    Have a great Wednesday my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing beats the retired life though it was a bit of an adjustment since it was and came so unexpected!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love tomatoes. I eat them a few times a week too.
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that both Danny and I are retired and we can take life at a slower pace. There is a certain peace that comes with being older.
    Blessings, Terri!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will be glad when we do not have to wear masks anymore....

    ReplyDelete
  6. We were just talking about Grandad's farm in NC where we always went for apples and pumpkins in the Fall. I do miss that too! Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't know apple orchards were missing there. We have them here - in fact - just last weekend we went. I love those weekends. Fall is coming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There might be some up in the panhandle but I have never even seen an apple tree at all down here in central Florida. The trade off is citrus fruit and strawberries and fresh veggies all year long... but I still miss apple orchards.

      Delete
  8. Being retired is the word of the day, smiles. Just kidding...apple orchards are plentiful here. But you know, with the Covid nonsense, one is isn't allowed to go picking this year. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was just reading this morning that one of the farms in the area that has a big fall celebration won't be doing that due to covid, but they will be opening the orchard for apple picking this weekend...by appointment only. Not the same world at all. Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You'll be glad to know that apples and pumpkins abound up here. 😊 And I agree that when we're older we have more peace, more solid in our faith, not distracted by the naysayers. Wish I'd had time to join today's Hodgepodge.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree... thank you Joyce if you're reading this. Being retired and at peace - sounds like I need to strive for. Enjoy your week.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Peace of mind (and heart) is priceless! I'm still working on that -- but thanks for being a great example!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I miss apple orchards too. Fresh apples...fresh apple cider...fresh apple pie...I guess I can make those still, but I love it when I have really fresh apples straight from an orchard to do so. It's been a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Our answers were so similar this week. Peace of mind - contentment is such a blessing, especially at this time in our lives. God is good!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Apple Orchards...Years ago, my town was known for the apple orchards. We have a festival every year (NOT THIS YEAR THOUGH :( The Apple Festival with a parade, craft booths, food vendors, beauty competitions, and band competitions which is/was a three day event. The apple orchards are no longer now a subdivision but the town still carries this tradition on.
    I, too, am glad for the Hodgepodge!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It is good, I agree, to have the Hodgepodge back. I enjoy and benefit from seeing how others are handling these tough times. Although visiting in person has had to take a back seat, communications via social media has been a huge help!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Enjoyed your answer today Terri and yes, it's so good that Joycce brought the HP back. It makes me blog at least once a week.

    ReplyDelete
  18. So, you moved TO Florida 31 years ago, and we moved FROM there 20 years ago. That means that for 11 years you and I were both living in the Sunshine State at the same time. Maybe we passed each other on I-4! Peace is such a blessing, isn't it? I am at peace in my life too and have been for about 6 years. My peace has come from being content and not fighting against God's plan for my life.

    Blessings,
    Patti (now blogging at Clothed with Joy)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have the best memories of visiting an apple orchard in the fall when my daughter was young. It was always a field trip and our favorite was the one that had the apple cider doughnuts. I need to find a recipe to recreate them. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  20. It has been fun to be back in the HP. It seems to flow nicely from week to week and so far I haven't had to strain my brain too much for questions. I like being able to count on something on my blog each week. Trying to do more than the HP, but some weeks that's all time allows. Peace is a gift, I agree.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am focusing on being at peace as I maneuver through our move FROM California TO Ohio right now. I am definitely looking forward to peaceful days in my own home--maybe November? Evidently I've moved TO the apple orchards.
    I hope you are not being affected by the storm.

    ReplyDelete