Saturday, May 5, 2018

Saturday 9 Standing on the Corner...

Standing on the Corner

Welcome to Saturday 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love memes, however, and here is today's meme! 


Saturday 9: Standing on the Corner (1956)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) In this song, four friends congregate on Main Street to look longingly at pretty girls. In your town, where is the best place for people watching?  Probably at the fountain at Lakeside Village. It's a central location in our little shopping/restaurant area and everyone passes by the fountain.  Our downtown Munn Park is a good location during a work-day at lunchtime.

2) This song was written for the Broadway musical, The Most Happy Fella. Who is the happiest person you know?  Me, myself and I!!  Seriously!

3) The members of The Four Lads met at Toronto's St. Michael's Choir School. Growing up, did you attend parochial or public school?  Public.

4) The Four Lads always wore jackets and ties when they performed. Do you enjoy dressing up?  Nope.. not anymore.  Or would you rather keep it casual?  Casual, always!

5) While this song was a hit for The Four Lads, they were completely overshadowed in 1956 by Elvis Presley and "Heartbreak Hotel." Who do you think dominates today's music scene?  I haven't a clue since I am so out of touch with today's music scene.  We listen to SiriusXM radio, 40s, 50s, and 60s.

6) The Wizard of Oz aired on TV for the first time in 1956. Sam was never crazy about those flying monkeys. Tell us about something that frightened you when you were a kid.  Vampires. I was sure they were real and wore my cross necklace to bed every night.

7) What scares you now?  Thinking about a loved one suffering.

8) Since this week's song is about pretty girls: 1956's Miss America was Sharon Ritchie of Colorado. Today Colorado has the distinction of being the home of more microbreweries than any other state in the union. Which are you most particular about -- your beer, your wine, or your coffee?  Coffee, definitely my coffee. 

9) Random question: We all have small, irritating habits, like soup slurping or not replacing the cap on the toothpaste. What's your nasty little habit?  Joe got upset with me these last few weeks for blowing my nose at the table. Not a nice thing to do, I know. It was awful being me these past few weeks. It is not something I do normally! 



Thanks to Crazy Sam for this week's Saturday 9!!  You can join in HERE!!

Thanks to you for checking in!  Happy Cinco de Mayo!! Peace & hugs!!


13 comments:

  1. Fun questions, good answers as always. Have a blessed weekend dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a wonderful weekend... those were some questions!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now you've got me thinking. There's a song from the 80's where a guy is reminiscing about four lads who shook the world. Is he talking about these guys? I had assumed it was the Beatles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not familiar with the song you reference here, but if it was in the 80s, I'm sure it was the Beatles.

      Delete
  4. Sandi...I'm sure he meant the Beatles...they were the "four lads from Liverpool" or something like that...and they definitely shook the world. Terri, loved your answers...I would agree with most, except 8. would be tea for me... and 6. I did not like watching The Wizard of Oz as a child, even though we watched it every time it came on. The witch always scared me. To this day I am not comfortable watching that movie. Hey...I know it isn't polite to blow your nose at the table, but it is much better than the alternative...sometimes you just gotta blow!!! LOL. So glad you are getting better. Have a blessed and beautiful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed your answers, smiles. Hope you and Joe have a lovely day, my friend. We have been having 90* days here, no kidding...went from freezing to humid just like that, I guess no spring, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am particular about my coffee as well! Only a good coffee and only half and half! None of those flavored creamers for me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed reading your answers.
    As for the blowing the nose.. it's hard when you are suffering with a lingering cold to have to get up and down from the table every few minutes.
    Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Terri! Our answers to #'s 5 and 8 would be identical! (Were I to have played along, that is!) Love your response to #2! Hope y'all are enjoying a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Teri, I am laughing picturing you blowing your nose at the table. We don't keep up with popular music either. I haven't been a good visitor in blog land, but I think of you often and wonder how Joe is doing. I didn't know you had been sick. Praying you are both well soon,

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are some really interesting questions. I love that you are the happiest person you know. That's great, because it makes you a joy to be around.

    I, too, know very little about the current music scene. I listen to a variety of Pandora stations, most of them 40's through 60's. Oh, and I still adore Michael Bolton's 80's stuff!

    My husband is very particular about his coffee too. In fact, he roasts his own, and he roasts in very small batches---like a week's worth at a time---just so it is ultra fresh. Me, I guess I don't have a sophisticated enough palette to taste the difference between different blends and roasts.

    Happy Saturday,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  11. The happiest person I know is me, too, Terri! Love the older songs, and don't have a clue as to what folks are listening to nowadays.
    Have a blessed weekend!

    ReplyDelete