I have a few pictures to share with you but reserve the stories and more photos for another time, when I have more time to journal the trip in more detail. We are having a great time, but we are both tired. The weather is overcast, but there has been no rain (so far) which is good. It is HOT and HUMID though, and that really takes its toll on us old folks! My knees are holding up. We walked more than a dozen blocks in the French Quarter today, but did hire a bicycle taxi for part of our trip.
We are seeing and doing everything we set out to see and do so far. Yesterday, we met with long-time blogging friend, Vic and his sweetheart, Tina. Vic blogged on Multiply. He has a green thumb and is a very talented photographer. I miss his blogs and told him so.
Joe and I both wanted to try some crawfish this trip since we had never had them before and had no idea how to get to the meat if a plate full had been set in front of us. As it turns out, this is crawfish season, and Vic has been working at his sister and brother-in-law's business, helping them with selling the freshly caught crawfish. We got a tour of Cajun Critters, from the bait used to catch them, to washing and bagging them for sale, to boiling them to eat.... and Vic had already boiled some crawfish to sell so we got a lesson and a good taste. His secret seasoning is delicious!! Vic lives just outside of Baton Rouge in Port Allen, LA.
After leaving Cajun Critters, we visited a nearby plantation (Vic's suggestion) and explored around Port Allen until Vic was finished for the day. He and Tina met us for dinner at Athena where we closed the place (really - they were about ready to kick us out) talking and laughing. It was such a good time, even if it was a long day for us. Baton Rouge/Port Allen are about 90 minutes from New Orleans. It was almost midnight when we got back to the hotel.
Thanks for checking in! I have more French Quarter photos from today. We are going to Riverwalk tomorrow, and perhaps will drop a few coins in the slot machines at Harrah's. Wouldn't it be nice to win a million dollars with a quarter? LOL (right) Peace & hugs!









Be sure to remember your blog friends when you win that million!!! lol
ReplyDeleteI love these photos. Glad your knees are holding out but do be careful.
Have a restful evening.
It was wonderful meeting you in person after such a long blog friendship. You and Joe are full of Souther Charm which is interesting as you're transplants.. THanks for dinner and a nice evening.. I do hope we meet again.
ReplyDeleteGreetings.
ReplyDeleteGod bless.
Sigh, oh how I miss having crawfish. Hey--now, don't forget to get Beignets...eat them when their hot. Looking forward to more posts about your trip. Blessings
ReplyDeleteGlad you liked crawfish. I have never had them. Plantation looks so pretty. Enjoy the rest of your vacation. I look forward to more pics
ReplyDeleteYour photos are so great...looks like you are having a fun trip! I have never tried crawfish before but I think I would like it. I love pretty much all seafood! Looking forward to seeing and hearing more about your trip!
ReplyDeleteSo glad your trip is going well, and thanks for sharing along the way in pictures. I do like crawfish and glad you got to try them. NO has so much to see, do and eat! Have a great Friday.
ReplyDeleteYep, you guys are having a good time. So glad you met up with Vic. Doesn't he miss blogging? I don't eat most seafood, so I don't eat crayfish even though I know how it's done. I like calamares and octopus and that's about it. Oh, and I can see the humidity in your lovely photos. Looking forward to seeing and hearing some more of your trip.
ReplyDeleteI am so glad that you're having a great time, Terri. It looks wonderful. I've never eaten crawfish and probably never will, but what a great experience to get saturated with the culture of New Orleans, even if only for a short time.
ReplyDeleteSounds like your trip is going well. Thanks for all this info about NO. We will be there in a couple of weeks and I am enjoying seeing what you are liking. I think the Greek place sounds better to me than the crawfish. Have fun.
ReplyDeleteWhat an awesome vacation! So glad you all had a great time! Our daughter went to New Orleans on a mission trip when she was in college and that's when she wanted to teach a diverse classroom....which, probably also led to the adoption of Miss RK!! HOPE you get rested and have a great week back home!
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful place! Dick had crawfish when he was in Louisiana doing Katrina restoration work in 2007. I think they called them crawdads.
ReplyDeleteI'm curious, what is Multiply?