Saturday, July 6, 2013

Grits?


Today has been a wonderful, very lazy day for me, and I have enjoyed every minute of it! We also actually have sunshine today. It hasn't rained one drop yet today! Hooray!

I was in my PJs until after 11:00 a.m. Got in the pool and swam a few laps, then got in the shower. We went to our usual 4:00 Vigil Mass, then out to dinner. I am back in my PJs and have no plans to do anything other than watch some TV tonight! Tomorrow will be different. I'll need to get the laundry done, clean up the house a bit, and I think we may go to the movies, to see "The Heat", with Sandra Bullock.  Several friends on FB have commented that it is very funny. I like Sandra Bullock's movies, so look forward to seeing it.

I am sorry to hear about the terrible plane crash in San Francisco today. There are still many people missing, and I pray for them and their families, as well as for those who were injured and are in the hospitals being treated. So far, the reports are that it was not a terrorist attack. The 777 is supposed to be one of the safest aircraft, so it will be interesting to hear what the cause of the fire and crash was.

My blog title "Grits?" is a thought I had at dinner tonight.  There were grits on the menu, and they are actually on most menus here in the south. Having been born and raised in Ohio, we didn't have grits - we had mush (basically the same thing).  I grew up eating mush, and we usually had in cooled in a loaf pan, sliced and fried, then eaten with butter and syrup.  Grits, down here, can be plain, or have any number of things added to them, usually cheese.  Joe grew up with polenta - which again, is just like grits and mush. They ate it with spaghetti sauce on it.  My grits question for all of you is - do you like grits/mush/polenta, and if so, how do you eat it?  I will mention that I like grits, but Joe refuses to eat grits, mush, or polenta. It is not something he likes, period.


Grits 


Polenta 


Fried Mush


Happy Weekend!!  Peace, love & hugs.

11 comments:

  1. I have never liked grits and havent had the other two. Jim eats grits, but I just cant bring myself to eat them...I am so glad you had a good restful day so dont work too hard tomorrow. It will all be there Monday! Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am with Joe - - none of the above. Having been raised in upstate NY, we did not have grits and I did not like hot liquid cereals either. When we moved to Rhode Island for a couple of years because my dad was stationed at the Quonset Point Naval Base, we lived next door to some people from Georgia. I had a meal with them one day. They served something that looked a bit like watery over-cooked rice. I love rice so I tried it. It was grits. I hated it.
    So glad you had a restful day. You deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sorry about the plane crash. Let me know if you like that movie - I like Sandra but the other girl can be raunchy and I don't like that. And I love grits with butter. sandie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never eaten grits I don't think. Like you, I ate fried mush when I was little. I've seen polenta here, but don't know anyone who eats it. I'm so glad you've finally got a bit of sun and can enjoy the pool a bit.

    Hope you're not too offended by bad language. One of my contacts on facebook was complaining about the strong language which I think spoiled the film for her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I only eat grits that aren't 'gritty'. The key to cooking grits is time and milk. Just google Carolina or Charleston grits and you should get a really good recipe. When I make shrimp and grits, it takes at least two hours to cook the grits. Lazy days are nice for re-energizing, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had grits while visiting the south in college on choir tour. I can't stand grits. Fortunately, I had a boyfriend at the time that was willing to eat all I turned down!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never had any of them. I'd be willing to try them.

    I love stay in pj's days. Let us know how you liked the movie

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had grits once at Waffle House with a southern guy that I was dating. I wrinkled up my nose after the first bite and he told me I needed to put butter on them...it didn't help. As a child I would eat mush after it was first cooked...like cream of wheat...then what was left over was fried later to eat with syrup.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like grits. But like you, here in Ohio we don't see it except the instant stuff on the shelves. I grew up on mush, fried, and I loved it.
    With that being said, I had to look up the difference.
    According to Wikipedia... "Grits refers to a ground-corn food of Native American origin, that is common in the Southern United States and mainly eaten at breakfast. Modern grits are commonly made of alkali-treated corn known as hominy." And we also like the canned hominy.
    I like Sandra Bullock too. I've seen all of her movies, but I'm not sure I would watch that movie for the same reason Brenda mentioned... the foul language. It's suppose to be very funny. I'd like to hear your review of it, if you go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, I love hominy, too! I can eat an entire can myself - and usually do, since Joe doesn't like them either! LOL

      Delete
  10. You pretty much described my 4th of July weekend..LOL. With Walt being sick we didn't do too much but I was fine with that. I have never had grits before. I'm not sure I would like them or not. My mom loves them!

    ReplyDelete