Friday, May 24, 2013

Road trip Days 3, 4 & 5....


I am late posting and my excuses follow....
(There actually is no excuse, but here are the reasons.... )

Day 3: started at Clary's Diner for breakfast with our three nieces, in Savannah. Had a great time over our Eggs Benedict, waffles, and chicken salad w/fries (Gina!). Sad to say good-bye to them, as they headed out for classes (Gina) and a day at the beach (Carly & Haley). Joe and I explored the historic River Street, had lunch at Spanky's, then left the historic area for some shopping and exploring elsewhere in the city. Day 3 - also excellent!!


That evening, I spent two hours in the hotel room, organizing my Savannah photos and adding text to create a slide show to post here.  Halfway through, it all went away. I decided to take the high road, and not curse (LOL). I'll re-do it later, and will have more photos to add, so photos will be coming.

Day 4: on the road for a 10-hour drive to Ohio. Turned into a 14 hour drive, because of a bad wreck on a mountain hill, in the rain. A tractor-trailer turned over and spilled diesel fuel all over I-77. Thankfully, we were a half mile behind it, but joined hundreds of motorists stuck in the back-up. We turned off motors and joined others - camaraderie was good, and we were all happy to learn that the truck driver was not killed. We had to jockey our vehicles to allow emergency vehicles to pass on the left, including the haz-mat trucks. Being close to the accident allowed us to clear out quickly, once they opened one lane. Could have been much worse, and we counted our blessings. Arrived safely at my sister's house, around 9:00 p.m. She kept dinner warm for us! :)

Day 5: that's today! Our niece, Kelly, graduates tonight. More family will be arriving this afternoon, and the big party is tomorrow. As promised, more photos will follow!!


You have all been in my thoughts, and daily prayers continue for those requested.  I will try to catch up on your posts as best I can.  I won't have internet access when we get to my grandmother's on Sunday, until we arrive at a hotel in Chattanooga, on Tuesday evening.  

Peace, love & hugs!!

8 comments:

  1. It's always good to hear from you. Been thinking about you and your trip. Thank God no one was harmed in that truck accident. My brother is a haz-mat driver and I always worry about him. Glad you're having time with your family and get in some sight-seeing. You be safe. God's blessing on you both. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a good time at the graduation, Terri. Don't you hate those 10 hour trips that suddenly become much, much longer! One of our daughters lives 9 hours away, the other lives 20 hours away - depending on road construction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you arrived safely and weren't injured in the accident. Enjoy the time with your family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You don't worry about trying to catch up with us. You just have fun with family and pick up with us at the most convenient point when you return. So glad you are having a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. And we've remembered you two. Hope you have good weather for the graduation tonight and the party tomorrow. Looking forward to seeing your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know that trip to Ohio very well! Have a nice time in Ohio! sandie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like you are having a great time, well except for the truck accident. Sometimes it takes me weeks to get all my vacation pics organized and posted after a vacation. I take way too many pics! lol Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I understand about wanting to swear when technology glitches on you.

    Glad you made it, but sorry about the bad traffic. We hit the same thing into Miami. Stuck in traffic, fifteen miles from the hotel for ONE HOUR. It was maddening.

    XO,

    Sheila

    ReplyDelete