A new week ahead!! I got some projects done this past weekend. Not all that I should have but I feel good about what did get done.
On Friday, I met my friend Shirley for lunch at Cheddars right after work. It was good catching up with her. She is 86 years young but I notice some changes. Her hubby died the year before Joe and their son lives in Texas. She really would like her son to be closer but I don't think that will happen. He is single, in his 50s, and is an engineer currently not employed. He says he is applying for work in Florida. I hope so.
Saturday was pantry clean-out day. I took everything out, wiped down the shelves, swept out the floor, decided to get rid of a few small appliances that I don't use anymore, and asked my friend from church if she wanted them for her garage sale. She said yes so I passed them along at church yesterday.
I didn't take a picture before, but here is after... (maybe I can keep it this way for a while!) I do love my walk-in pantry.
The things I got rid of are a waffle maker (Joe liked waffles, I could care less); a super blender that Montel advertised on TV years ago. We had to have it and I think I used it twice. A bamboo steamer that I don't use anymore; and an ice cream maker that I haven't used since we moved. Hoping Kori can get a few bucks for them at their sale, or use them herself. They still have little kids at home.
After Sunday school and church, I went to Lowes for two bags of black mulch. The raised bed in front of my house needed some sprucing up. Then I went to see Helen. Her place is just down from Lowes.
Lunch was just over but she got some ice cream and ate that while I sat with her. They tell me she doesn't get up until around 11:00. Lunch is really her breakfast. She was animated and talking more today. When I sat down and she looked up at me she smiled and said "I like it when you visit." Oh my goodness, that sounded so nice. Most of the time, I really don't think she knows who I am or where she is.
Later, though, she was nearly crying and kept saying she needs her mother. I didn't take a picture because she had a lot of food on her blouse. She wipes her hands on her clothing. We sat together for another little bit and she said "I'm your Iris". She and her husband looked after their friend, Iris, for a couple of years while she was in a nursing home. This was 15-20 years ago. Another lucid moment that was meaningful. She seemed to understand the situation.
Soon after that, she kind of dismissed me and said bye-bye so I went in search of a nurse to let me out and take over. I never know where to leave Helen. She prefers the dining room but I can't just leave her alone. She will fall if she tries to get out of her wheelchair. They aren't allowed to use restraints so they usually put her at a table that is too heavy for her to move. It works.
When I got home, I lugged the mulch out front, put on some gloves, and got the rake to spread the new mulch. I need to paint my pink flamingo (faded from the sun) and get some fall leaves to put around it. I have six people coming for Thanksgiving so far, so it's a party!! A few decorations are in order!!
That's enough! Thanks for checking in!!
Amazing Grace, How Sweet the Sound...

Sounds like you had a productive weekend. Your pantry is wonderful!!!! Every woman's dream is to have a nice, organized pantry! And full of food too! :) Re: Helen, It's interesting that she is having these little lucid moments. I still don't understand the part about no restraints for a person who is prone to falling. Praying for her and also for you as she grows weaker, etc. It's not easy. You are wonderful to do what you do for her. Yes, I am sure she appreciates you very much. (((hugs))) Have a blessed week.
ReplyDeleteIt sounded like you had a full, productive weekend, Terri. Your pantry looks so good. Have a good week.
ReplyDeleteLove your pantry. Hey I am with Joe - love pancakes and waffles. lol Have a great week.
ReplyDeleteI love an organized pantry, yours is very nice! Waffles: I make chaffles for myself once in a while, a low carb version that actually taste delicious: one egg, 1/2 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese, a tablespoon of almond flour, a splash of vanilla...you can add peanut butter, or pumpkin, or cocoa powder, or make it savory and eat it with burgers. Anyway. The can organizer I ordered from Walmart just came, so I'll be organizing my pantry today too.
ReplyDeleteI love how you take care of Helen, bless her heart, it seems like a nice place she's in though.
Are you going to dress that flamingo up as a turkey? :).
Well, it sounds like you got a LOT accomplished. I'm sure envious of that walk-in pantry -- but can sure empathize with those must-have appliances that get little use. Now that you mention it, Tom loves waffles (unlike me). We don't exchange Christmas presents, but that might make a fun surprise from 'Santa Claus.'
ReplyDeletePS- I'm glad to hear Helen expressed she was happy to see you. Goosebumps on the 'I'm your Iris' statement.
Love your walk-in pantry, Terri! When we were in the midst of Covid, Danny essentially transformed our garage (lots of shelf room) into a huge walk-in pantry. Since he used Instacart for groceries, he stocked up on the non-perishables, and we had a convenient place to store them.
ReplyDeleteSorry to hear that Helen is still struggling. I guess that's simply how it will be until God calls her home.
Blessings, my friend!
Hi Terri: You had a busy weekend, I did get rid of all kinds of things we did not use, however we still have waffles with fruit infused every once in a while.
ReplyDeleteYour pantry is so neat.
I feel so bad for Helen, it is so sweet for her to have you visit.
You are a Blessing from God.
Catherine
Gadget.. just got an air fryer.... wish me luck! :)
ReplyDeleteLove your pantry. Take care my friend and I hope you have a great week.
ReplyDeleteYou did good! I need to do that to my pantry. I have some things I never use either.
ReplyDeleteIt's nice Helen had a few lucid moments when she was with you. "I'm your Iris" - that is sweet and sad at the same time.
I love your pantry!! You did a great job on the cleaning and organizing.
ReplyDeleteThose lucid moments are so special. For some reason, my sweet 97 year old mother-in-law remembers that I'm taking college classes and she asks me about it every week. Dementia is hard to watch especially when the person was so incredibly smart.
Everyone needs someone as they grow older and I'm glad Helen has you. It is hard to watch a person age and struggle with memory and confusion. I'm glad there are some really good moments too.
ReplyDelete