Shut Up + Dance
Welcome to Saturday 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love memes, however, and here is today's meme!
Saturday 9: Shut Up + Dance (2014)
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
1) This is about a man who meets the woman who is his destiny on the dance floor. Do you think we each have One Great Love preordained by fate? No. Or do you think life offers each of us many opportunities for romance? Yes.
2) Lead singer Nick Petricca says this song is inspired by a true story. He was all keyed up and his girlfriend dragged him onto the dance floor, insisting that dancing would cheer him up. Therefore he considers this song an "anthem to letting go and having fun." Think of the last time you really had fun. Who were you with? Always with Joe and family/friends. What were you doing? We spent the weekend at the beach with family with quite a bit of laughter and fun, plus the week before and the week after! When you get to be a "senior citizen" fun takes on a different meaning from when we were young and more carefree (and more mobile, without pain).
3) The dance floor incident that inspired this song took place in Echo Park, an LA neighborhood located near Elysian Park and Chinatown. Tell us about your village or city. Do the neighborhoods have interesting names? I could write an entire blog on Lakeland. It is a lovely city with amazing lakes and parks. We are a foodie town, supporting MANY restaurants. We have several "areas" that are named. Lake Morton Historic District, which is the oldest residential area in Lakeland, full of 1920s Craftsman-style bungalows. Then we have Dixieland Historic Neighborhood. There are many, though, including some not listed HERE. Our old neighborhood was in "The Highlands". So there you have more info than bargained for!! I LOVE Lakeland!!
4) Walk the Moon promoted this record by a performance on Good Morning America. Are you enthusiastic and energetic at 7:00 AM? Not anymore, though for 20 years, I was already at my desk by 7:00 am. Or do you hit your stride later in the day? The retired me is up at 8:00 or 8:30 most mornings, if we don't have early appointments or company.
5) "Shut Up + Dance" is the biggest hit by Walk the Moon. The band members met as at Kenyon, Ohio's oldest private college. Tell us about something that's old and revered where you live. I have to mention the "Lovers Oak Tree" and you can read about it HERE. It has been much in the news of late.
6) Walk the Moon took their name from the Police song, "Walking on the Moon." What's your favorite song by Sting and/or The Police? Every Breath You Take.
7) In 2014, the year this song was popular, Robin Williams took his own life. What's your favorite Robin Williams performance? He was great in so many!! August Rush; The Fisher King; Patch Adams; Good Morning Vietnam; Good Will Hunting; Mrs. Doubtfire; and who can forget Mork? Such talent lost. So sad.
8) Also in 2014, the Apple Watch was introduced. Are you wearing a watch as you answer these 9 questions? Yes, I am. I have six or seven watches but always seem to wear what I call "my beach watch". It is a $35 Timex that is waterproof/resistant, has the date, and just keeps on ticking. It also lights up so it is great at the movies. It also doesn't tell me what a slouch I am by keeping track of my 500 steps a day. (winking)
5) "Shut Up + Dance" is the biggest hit by Walk the Moon. The band members met as at Kenyon, Ohio's oldest private college. Tell us about something that's old and revered where you live. I have to mention the "Lovers Oak Tree" and you can read about it HERE. It has been much in the news of late.
6) Walk the Moon took their name from the Police song, "Walking on the Moon." What's your favorite song by Sting and/or The Police? Every Breath You Take.
7) In 2014, the year this song was popular, Robin Williams took his own life. What's your favorite Robin Williams performance? He was great in so many!! August Rush; The Fisher King; Patch Adams; Good Morning Vietnam; Good Will Hunting; Mrs. Doubtfire; and who can forget Mork? Such talent lost. So sad.
8) Also in 2014, the Apple Watch was introduced. Are you wearing a watch as you answer these 9 questions? Yes, I am. I have six or seven watches but always seem to wear what I call "my beach watch". It is a $35 Timex that is waterproof/resistant, has the date, and just keeps on ticking. It also lights up so it is great at the movies. It also doesn't tell me what a slouch I am by keeping track of my 500 steps a day. (winking)
9) Random question -- You must create a coat of arms for yourself, representing your life and spirit. Which of these items would you place at the center: a heart, a sword, or a pen? Definitely a heart.
Thanks so much for joining us again at Saturday: 9. As always, feel free to come back, see who has participated and comment on their posts. In fact sometimes, if you want to read & comment on everyone's responses, you might want to check back again tomorrow. But it is not a rule. We haven’t any rules here. Join us on next Saturday for another version of Saturday: 9, "Just A Silly Meme on a Saturday!" Enjoy your weekend!
Thanks to Crazy Sam Winters for this Saturday 9!! You can join in HERE.
Thanks to you for your visit! Happy weekend! Peace & hugs.


Happy Saturday and weekend! God bless.
ReplyDeleteIsn't that the truth about the definition of "fun" changing as we get older. Even in our 50's the aches and pains have started to slow us down. I remember Lakeland as a lovely area from passing through or shopping when we lived in Orlando. Your posts always make me wish I'd gotten there more. Have a blessed weekend!
ReplyDeleteAfraid the music was "after my time." Give me the old timers...guess I am dating myself.. Have a wonderful weekend! :)
ReplyDeleteI put my FitBit watch on every morning. Sadly I've gotten good at ignoring when it nags to get off my butt. I've gotta start listening to it again.
ReplyDeleteHave a great weekend!
Were you at your desk every day at 7 or just some of them? That's early. Most people get to their jobs at 8.
ReplyDeleteThe article about the Lovers' Oak Tree is very interesting. It is a gorgeous tree. I am whatever is done there will be supporters and those who are critical. That is a lot of work to consider for saving it. Hopefully the trauma around the roots if the sidewalk and road are removed will not hurt it.
Our city has had a couple of landmark trees that had to be removed over the last 3-4 years. They got articles written about them in newspapers.
IF they remove that tree, they should consider contacting a couple of artists, etc to create some things with the wood. Anything could be made from tree ornaments (flat ones cut out with scroll work) to furniture and even a sculpture. The possibilities are endless. Some might even like a slice of wood for a shelf in their home. This could be done with the arrangement that part of the proceeds go back to the City of Lakeland for some other beautification project like in one of the parks around town. Just a thought.
I so agree what you said about 'fun' evolving as we get older! That's an interesting dilemma about the Lovers Oak tree. (For what it's worth, I'm vote option #3!) The coming together of 3 trees to make one makes me think of the Holy Trinity.
ReplyDeleteHave a great day!
I love reading about other people's thoughts, likes, dislikes and habits. I enjoyed reading your post.
ReplyDeleteI agree with the Robin Williams list.. yes a terrible loss.
I would love to be able to walk through those 1920s Craftsman-style bungalows. I have always loved houses, both inside and out.
ReplyDeleteThanks, by the way, for your dear and faithful friendship to me and so many others in the blogging community...
Actually, I DO have a Coat of Arms.
ReplyDeletehttp://timeforreflections.blogspot.com/2015/02/richard-who.html
God bless.
Awesome! I have the Cameron plaid and coat of arms - from my mom's side of the family. Kinda fun!!
DeleteHa... just went to your link. Thanks for the giggles!
DeleteKeep smiling, Terri.
DeleteGod bless.
I wear a fitbit and also a watch! I love those timex that light up but when my last one dies, I had trouble finding another one.
ReplyDeleteMy coat of arms would also have a heart.
I too have been wearing waterproof, lighted dial Timex watches for YEARS!!
ReplyDeleteI never knew the back story of that song, but oh my! You should hear Sammy and Bianca sing it, lol!!