Monday, November 21, 2016
Monday Weekend Recap....
Monday surely did get here fast! Let's see....
Friday I had to leave work at lunch time because Joe's car is in the shop and he needed mine for an appointment. Rather than run cars and people back and forth all afternoon, I decided to just take four hours of vacation time. It was a tough thing to do, starting the weekend early, but I was happy to do it for Joe....
When he got home, we took off for Walmart to get my new glasses! They are different from any I've had in awhile, but I like them....
Saturday we slept late, as we love to do. I got up around 8:30 and I think Joe made it up a little before 10:00. After we ate our late breakfast, we took off running errands.
First, we stopped at Bealls, which is a department store that is found only in the south. I know there is one near my sister in Georgia, but I'm not sure how many locations they have.
We love shopping there. We took two Angels from the Angel Tree at church last week. One was for a five-year-old boy and his mom wanted shoes, a shirt, and pants. We got all three and all I can say is that it costs as much to buy for a little guy as it does to buy for a big guy. We had 'sticker shock' but are happy we could help out this family. We also got an Angel for helping seniors and shut-ins and got a requested gift card for Publix.
After Bealls, we stopped at Lowe's to look at Christmas lights. Joe insists on putting lights on the outside of the house and it always looks great, but I don't want him up on a ladder anymore. We've been looking at those spotlights that have the red and green 'stars' that cover the whole house. He didn't like them so I am going to ask our son to help while they are here for Thanksgiving.
After Lowe's, we popped over to Sam's Club for a list of stuff there. We dropped that off at home and then continued on to Publix for an even bigger list. I think I am ready for the big day and even remembered to put the turkey in the refrigerator yesterday afternoon, to start thawing.
All of that running around actually took almost five hours by the time we were done. Good golly!
Sunday, we were up early for church. Today is the last day of the Catholic liturgical year because next Sunday begins Advent. We celebrated Christ the King. One of our Deacons had the sermon. He is very good and reminded us that we need to concentrate on doing things His way, not "my way".
There were enough women selling pecans this week, so I didn't stop to help. I didn't sign up for it but would have helped if they were short-handed. We sold a lot of them last weekend!
After Mass, we went to Reececliff (local diner) for breakfast. I needed a few things from the drug store, so we stopped at Walgreens, then filled my car up with gasoline ($1.99 a gallon!!!), then Joe had to pick up a prescription at Publix that wasn't ready when we were there on Saturday. Whew....are you following this?!!
Back home, and I got the laundry started. We had leftover chicken noodle soup for dinner. I made a big pot of it Saturday. It was good both days. And we DO have soup weather now! It went down into the high 40s last night and will only be in the high 60s today. I think it will be back to 80 by Thanksgiving Day.
It's a short work week for me. We get two days off for Thanksgiving so Wednesday will be my Friday! It is quiet at work because my co-workers who have kids take the whole week since there isn't any school this week.
Wednesday, I will also leave work early because we help to deliver Thanksgiving meals to the elderly and shut-ins. Lakeland has a wonderful organization here called VISTE (Volunteers in Service to the Elderly). We have been doing this for a few years now and usually take two meal bags to deliver. Hundreds of volunteers show up to help. This is a picture I took last year of the volunteers lining up to take a bag or bags to deliver. There were that many behind us, too....
Our church also delivers meals to shut-ins and my church women's group supplies rolls and pies, so after we deliver for VISTE, we will drop off our rolls and a pie for the Knights of Columbus, who are the ones who organize the meals for our church.
A busy week, but so much to be thankful for!! Blessings over-flow.
I hope your weekend was a good one! Thanks for your visit! Peace & hugs.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





You have been really busy. You really got a lot of stuff done.
ReplyDeleteHave a great day!
You are one busy lady! I know that leaving early on Friday was quite a burden to you, but happy you could help your husband out. ;) What a great program you have to help the elderly with food! So glad you can be a part of that.
ReplyDeleteYou and Joe are busy bees. Love your new glasses!! I am looking forward to Bishop Barron's advent devotions this year. He is such a blessing. Our Protestant church does not do liturgy and I love the seasons and the the reminders of the Gospel in liturgy. As I have said before, I am a closet Catholic.:)
ReplyDeleteYour weekends are always so full! I love it. And I agree about not letting Joe up on that ladder anymore. Tell him to stand down. :) I know those on the Angel tree will appreciate the time that others take to help make Christmas special. Can you imagine needing to ask for shoes, pants, and a shirt for Christmas? The glasses are fantastic! And, I'm just going to say it was so nice of you to take a few hours off on Friday. I do know how hard that must have been. LOL
ReplyDeleteA little nippy here in Southern Florida.... think I am spoiled! Have a great day!
ReplyDeleteYour new glasses look great! What a great response to VISTE! Have a great (short) week!
ReplyDeleteBoy, that was one busy weekend. I got tired just reading it. *lol* You'll have to retire just to get some rest.
ReplyDeleteThe glasses look super. Now that I've had lens replacement surgery, no more prescription glasses for me (just el cheapo readers). Hallelujah!
Have a blessed day. ~:)
WoW, you have been a busy lady! I think it's wonderful that you share with others during this season of giving and being thankful. We did Boxed Blessings at our church and they delivered meals yesterday...I don't know how many families, but it was right at 500 people! Hope you're having a great day!
ReplyDeleteDoesn't it feel so good to give back? This season we (office) help support the Children's Crisis Nursery and St. Vincent de Paul. (But actually, my heart goes out to the seniors who have few resources, human and otherwise.)
ReplyDeleteYour new frames look mighty stylin'!
Whew, I got tired just reading about your weekend. You were definitely on the go, but hopefully you got all you need for Thursday. I admire your church, as well as the different organizations that provide for the less than fortunate. A short week can be good, but if you leave work to do next week, not so good! lol
ReplyDeleteWow, Terri. You've been crazy busy. I like your new glasses, too. That is a great thing you are doing for the seniors. As I drove around this morning to do errands, I remembered how much I enjoyed my commute to work during Thanksgiving week and between Christmas and New Year's when everybody was off and you could get to work with no hassles. Happy Thanksgiving to you!
ReplyDeleteYou mention the Catholic calendar....is November 17 a feast or something? I ask because that's our anniversary and the Catholic college here in town sets off fireworks every year. We joke about how nice it is of them to put on such a show for us.
ReplyDeleteThe Feast of Christ the King and the end of our liturgical year.
DeleteIt sounds like a busy weekend and a busy week ahead. How wonderful that you're involved in so much helping and volunteering. I wish our church went by the liturgical calendar. There's so much richness, history, communion of saints in it that other churches miss out on. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving, Terri.
ReplyDeleteI'm tried just reading about your busy weekend. Glad you you get both Thursday and Friday off work!
ReplyDelete