Saturday, June 4, 2016

Saturday:9....










Thanks to Samantha for another Saturday:9!!  You can join the fun HERE!!

Ode to Billie Joe






















Welcome to Saturday: 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love memes, however, and here is today's meme!

Ode to Billie Joe (1967) 
If you're not familiar with today's song, you can hear it here. 

1) This song takes places on "the third of June," which is described as "another sleepy, dusty" day. Describe the weather where you were on Friday, June 3, 2016.  Hot (91°) and sticky.

2) In this song, the family sits down to eat and discuss the doings of their friends and neighbors. Mama, Papa, Brother and Sister were at the table. Who did you have dinner with on Friday?  Joe.

3) Young Billie Joe MacAllister playfully put a frog down another kid's back. Do you see many frogs where you live?  Yes, we have lots of frogs. They drive the cats crazy climbing up the windows. They have suction cup toes....



4) This song made Mississippi's Tallahatchie Bridge famous. What's the name of a bridge in your neighborhood?  There aren't any bridges in Lakeland, except un-named over-passes.  

5) Bobbie Gentry often performed with Glen Campbell. Mr. Campbell's family is very open about Glen's battle with Alzheimer's. Is anyone in your life facing this terrible disease?  No, thankfully.  We have cancer and heart disease, though.

6) "Ode to Billie Joe" was made into a movie directed by Max Baer, Jr. Mr. Baer is better known for playing Jethro Bodine in a famous 1960s era sitcom. Can you name it?  Of course...one of my favorites!  The Beverly Hillbillies!



7) Bobbie Gentry made one of her last public appearances in 1981 onThe Tonight Show with Johnny Carson. Johnny is now seen in reruns on the Antenna TV channel. Think of the last TV show you watched. Was it new or was it a rerun?  Since we DVR most TV shows to watch them without commercials, we watched "Bones" last night, from Thursday night - but it wasn't a rerun.  We watch Acorn TV (British TV) most of the time and they are all reruns from England, Australia, Canada, etc. 


8) In 1967, when this song was popular, Sweden changed its traffic laws and Swedes began driving on the right. Have you ever driven in a foreign country?  Nope. 

9) Random question: Which would you rather have more of -- compliments or hugs?  Hugs for sure. I don't take compliments easily, but hugs are always welcome and great!


Thanks so much for joining us again at Saturday: 9. As always, feel free to come back, see who has participated and comment on their posts. In fact sometimes, if you want to read & comment on everyone's responses, you might want to check back again tomorrow. But it is not a rule. We haven’t any rules here. Join us on next Saturday for another version of Saturday: 9, "Just A Silly Meme on a Saturday!" Enjoy your weekend.


So happy for the weekend!!  Sleeping in today with nothing much planned. Maybe a trip over to Brandon if the weather isn't too bad.  More about that another time!  Thanks for your visit today!  Peace & hugs for all!


13 comments:

  1. It has been very hot and sticky here as well....sigh, it is summer, right? (smiles)

    I keep forgetting the Saturday meme...have a great day Terri, grocery store for us today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha! The frog is funny! Hugs back to you and enjoy the weekend. When I remember Jethro, it's always him saying "naught naught" when doing his math. (Is that the correct spelling?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good morning, Terri! We DVR shows too. It's so much nicer to watch without the interruptions! It's on the cool side here today. We've been in the 80's for the last couple of weeks but I don't think we are going to get that hot today. I love seeing the frogs when we are in Florida but I can see how they would drive your fur babies crazy! Have a great weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you and Mr. Joe enjoy a relaxing weekend with nothing to do except what you want to on the agenda!! Rest and relax...Dr. Deb's advice...😀

    ReplyDelete
  5. A very interesting set of questions this morning. We are having our typical summertime weather...hot, humid, with afternoon showers at times. No frogs here, but the birds on the feeders drive our fur babies nuts, because they cant get to them! Have never driven on the 'other' side of the road, and hugs for me too. Sending you and Joe one this morning. Enjoy a restful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We had a few hot days last week. This week was in 70's. I love to have the windows open and not need to put on AC.
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think I ever saw live frogs in the house or on the windows when we lived in Florida. It was pretty common to find one dead and sort of...mummified...on a window sill or behind the sofa or something. Same with the chameleons. Hated that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have always found that song very interesting...what did they throw off the bridge? lol It is very hot here too, summer has arrived. I am back to walking at the mall!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved the HIllbillies, too. Hope you're feeling better now, Terri. I'm catching up on commenting since we've returned home, but I've been reading everyday. Hugs, Sweetie.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember hearing that a college professor made a project from the song and had his students write a paper on what they threw off the bridge!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved Ode to Billy Joe!!! I think this was the first June 3 I forgot. :(
    Sad, how BG portrayed the apathy and lack of communication which exists all too often in the family unit.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Okay, frogs climbing up my windows - would freak me out. Only in Florida!

    ReplyDelete