Saturday, September 20, 2025

September 20th: The Saturday 9...

 Thanks to Crazy Sam Winters for today's questions!  Join the fun by clicking HERE!


Come See About Me

Welcome to Saturday: 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random questions," so to speak. We encourage you to visit other participants' posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love memes, however, and here is today's meme!


Saturday 9: Come See About Me (1964)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) In this song, Diana Ross sings that she's given up her friends for her boyfriend. Have you ever had a lover your friends disapproved of? Has a friend ever dated someone you didn't care for?  If friends ever disapproved of a boyfriend, I wasn't aware of it.  I have to answer a big YES to the last part.
 
2) Without her man at her side, she feels uncertain. Let's be more positive: what's something you're sure of?  I'm sure of Jesus Christ as my savior.  I'm pretty sure my cats will wake me up between 7:00 and 7:30 a.m. every morning.  They have no respect for me sleeping in.

3) When this song was popular, the Supremes were known for their elegant hair and wardrobe. When was the last time you got dressed up? Probably last October, for my nephew's wedding.  I wore a dress and a corsage to church on Easter Sunday (my church is very casual).  It seems sad to say that wearing a dress is dressing up, but I did wear a dress for Lauren's wedding shower last week.  I'm a jeans and t-shirt girl.
 
4) The Supremes went on to have a dozen #1 hits. This must have been hard for Betty McGlown, the fourth Supreme, who left the group before they recorded their first song. Can you think of an opportunity you missed?  No, I really can't.  I don't look at life like that.  God is in control.

5) After she left the Supremes, lead singer Diana Ross went on to have a successful solo career. But it hasn't always been easy. She stumbled in her high heels and broke her ankle as she left the stage after a November 2012 concert. Have you taken a tumble recently?  No, thank goodness!  It's been a few years.  With two artificial knees and an arthritic back, I try to be deliberate in where I step and how fast I walk.  I have also stopped wearing Crocs, which have tripped me a few times for not placing my foot carefully.

6) Ever the trooper, she honored her commitment to perform at a White House-sponsored Christmas concert just weeks later, even though her leg was still in a cast. Tell us about a time when you "played hurt."  Back in 1999, I had a total hysterectomy and was told I wouldn't be able to go back to work for six weeks.  I didn't have that much sick leave, so I was back at work after two weeks.  It was fine.  I sat at my desk all day, and the restroom was in the hall right outside my office.  I did it and was okay.  I healed well and had no trouble, thank God!

7) In 1964, when this song was popular, Amazon founder Jeff Bezos was born. What was in your most recent Amazon shipment?  It was on Wednesday and included a new stick vacuum cleaner.  My old one won't hold a charge for more than 10 minutes, and the batteries aren't available anymore.  I don't spend a lot of money on them because they have shown me they have about a two-year life.  I've been through three... my new one makes the fourth.  I welcome your advice and experience because I'll need a replacement again in 2027, I'm sure!  I do have a corded Oreck that works well, even after nearly 20 years, but it is heavy and large, and I vacuum cat hair every couple of days...

8) Also in 1964, women still routinely wore white gloves to complete an outfit. Short gloves that ended at the wrist were popular for everyday wear. What fashion trend do you wish would come back?  Not gloves!!  Not pantyhose!!  I don't follow trends anymore.  I'm soon to be 74 and live in denim and t-shirts.
 
9) Random question: If you were in the witness protection program, what new name and occupation would you choose for yourself?  I would stay retired (please!).  My dad wanted to name me Paula, after his favorite Uncle Paul.  Mom nixed it because she wanted more kids and said to save it for a boy (which they did).  I've always thought I would like to be a Paula. 

Peace and Hugs!
A rose, by any other name would smell as sweet...

11 comments:

  1. First of all, you are perfect as a "Terri". I cannot see you as a "Paula". I'm not sure if my friends ever disapproved of a boyfriend before, but my parents did. LOL. But then again, they didn't want me to have any boyfriends...until John came along, and they LOVED him, and my mother told me after we'd had 3 dates that if he ever asked me to marry him I'd better say yes! LOL. I reminded her of that several years later (after we were married) and she said she would never have said such a thing after getting to know him! LOL...all in good fun. She really did love him. We are currently using a small shop vac for our vacuum, since we mostly just have hard floors and only carpet in the two guest bedrooms. It does have a cord, but it just works so much easier than those fancy heavy vacuums. And yes, those battery operated things don't last long at all. I had one and got rid of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I live in my jeans and casual shirts, Terri, and only dress up when the occasion calls for it. Life's too short not to be comfortable. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm also a jeans and t-shirt - or sweatshirt girl! No gloves or pantyhose for me. :)
    I love my stick vacuum and wouldn't be without it. Mine is a Dyson that I got for a really good deal and I've replaced the battery once.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If my girls "let" me sleep until 7 I'd think I'd died and gone to Heaven (lol). Indeedie, knowing Jesus loves me just as I am is a blessing. I've still a couple of formal gowns hanging in the closet but can't figure WHY, where or how I'd have occasion to wear them. Smiling at your mention of Paula ... immediately, my mind went to that old song, "Hey, hey Paula, I want to marry you." Have fun at the fair!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely no pantyhose here in Florida, LOL. Wishing you a lovely day, Terri. smiles

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Supremes look so good in the photo with their blue dresses, coifed hair, cute shoes…. styles that served women well.

    But with that said, I seldom wear dresses these days.

    I can’t manage with corded vacs any more. As you said, they are heavy, and dealing with the cord is a real bother. I’m not sure the perfect cordless vac has been invented yet, but that is what I use.

    Gloves: I remember when my first husband was nearing his commission with the USAF. As his wife, I attended a couple of meetings and read the book, “Mrs. Lieutenant.” The wearing of gloves was part of the protocol at the time (1972).

    As for #9, what an interesting question! I would move to New England, buy a charming historical home on a heavily treed lot, resume cooking, and invite friends to dine with me every holiday. As for my name, I think I’d go by Prudence Grace (called me "Prudy"). (while we’re dreaming here, I’d also subtract about 20 years from my current age!!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wear jeans and tee every day too. I'm sure of Jesus Christ as my savior.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Vacuum cleaners! Why do they make them so heavy and noisy? Two of my daughters have asked for vacuum cleaners for their birthdays and I'm stumped. I don't like the one I have (for reasons mentioned above) and I have no idea which one to get them, or if I should get them at all. I have found Saucony tennis shoes at DSW. They have thick tread but the sole is wide and flat. They give me the best traction and solid base to walk on. They aren't fancy but I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I got a new stick vacuum recently--once you have one, you can't be without one! lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Terri, I am a jeans and t-shirt person as well, but will dress up if I need to. When I am at home, I wear a house dress! I am much more comfortable this way and household chores are so much easier when I wear it. I have a vacuum but don't need to use it often. As for sweeping, I use a squeegee! It is better than a broom in that it is wider for one thing, so takes less time to sweep, as well, it is easier to wipe off after use than a broom, as a broom has all those fibers that everything sticks to!

    ReplyDelete