Saturday, January 9, 2021

The Saturday 9 is All Shook Up...

 Thanks to Sam for today's 9 questions!  You can join in HERE!


All Shook Up

Welcome to Saturday: 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants' posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love to answer the questions, however, and here are today's questions!



Saturday 9: All Shook Up (1957)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
Chosen because January 8 is the anniversary of Elvis Presley's birth.

1) In this song, Elvis shares quite a list of maladies: he's itching, his hands are shaky, his knees are weak, he has chills ... How are you feeling this morning?  Blessed!

2) He also mentions being "tongue-tied." The dictionary defines it as, "unable to speak freely, as from shyness." Do you often find yourself tongue-tied?  Yes. I am one of those people who, two hours later, thinks about what I SHOULD have said instead of what I actually stumbled through. Writing is much easier for me because I usually have time to edit my words!

3) Even after he was wealthy, Elvis never lived away from his parents. At one point Graceland Mansion was home to four generations of the family: his grandmother, his father, and stepmother, Elvis, his wife, and daughter. Have you ever lived in a multi-generational household?  No, I never did but my hubby grew up with family members living with them as his folks sponsored others coming over from Italy.  His grandparents, his aunts, and uncles.  It was a revolving door for several years.

4) Thinking of family, Elvis Presley was a distant cousin of President Jimmy Carter. Both of their family trees can be traced back to the 18th century and Thomas Preslar (before the surname was changed to Presley in the early 1800s). Have you traced your ancestry?  Yes, back into the 1600s on some lines. If not, is it something you'd like to do?  If you haven't, you should. It is lots of fun.
 
5) As an adult, Elvis never wore denim (except for a movie role). That's because when he was in school, his classmates teased him for "dressing poor" in jeans and coveralls. Is denim a big part of your wardrobe today?  I would wear denim all the time if I could. Love my jeans.
 
6) Before becoming famous, Elvis drove a truck in and around Memphis. Have you ever had a job that kept you behind the wheel most of the day?  No.

7) In 1957, the year this song was a hit, the Allstate Mechanical Freight Set was popular, too. Kids would wind up the engine and watch it pull two cars and a caboose around the track. To enhance the realism, sparks would shoot from the engine's smokestack as it rumbled by. Did you ever play with a toy train?  My brother had one but I didn't play with it.   If not, tell us about a childhood plaything you remember fondly.  I was a reader and loved my books more than my toys. I had a Tiny Tears doll but didn't play with it much. I probably played with my Barbies more than other toys but what I enjoyed most about Barbie was building 'houses' with scarves and umbrellas and making furniture with scraps of wood.

8) The best-selling book of 1957 was Peyton Place, a scandalous tale of life in a small New England town. Do you suppose there are enough steamy stories behind closed doors in your town to fill a novel?  Oh, you can be sure of that! LOL

9) Random question: Can you do 10 push-ups?  I can barely do ONE push-up, let alone 10.  Upper-body strength is lacking big time.

Peace & hugs!  Jesus loves you!




13 comments:

  1. The house I live in was built for Jim's Mother and Dad and they lived here until they died; then Jim and I moved in and we lived here until Jim died; now our son and his family live here with me, so we have kept it in the family. 10 push ups - LOLOLOL no way! I am an only child so no brothers playing with trains...I played outside most of the time; not a 'doll player'. Hope you have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved your answers. I didn't know you were a Barbie doll girl too. My cousin Becky and I made houses for ours with scraps of paneling, and we made furniture from boxes and plastic dish detergent bottles could make interesting modern chairs. We made cushions and curtains all kinds of fun things. I wish I still had it! I also had a Tiny Tears doll and I did play with it when I was little. I still have her. I could not do 1 push up either...yes, upper body strength is pretty much nil. Of course you know I played with trains...still do, except we finally took it down yesterday. Still trying to put everything away. Have a great weekend my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No trains in my house until I got married. I didn't have Barbie but I had an old dollhouse with tons of furniture that I would redecorate all the time.
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1) feeling chilled; glad the heat is running
    2) like you, I find writing to be an easier form of communication
    3) no. Always just me and immediate family
    4) my mother traced our family as far back as Robert E Lee and Martha Washington
    5) blue jeans are my almost daily choice except for church (no holes in mine, however)
    6) just taxiing the kids to school and their activities, back in the day
    7) I loved playing with dolls
    8) yes. Sin is everywhere.
    9) definitely not

    Thanks for this few minutes of entertainment, Terri! Thanks for your love and prayers for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a blessing for me to be able to pray for you, Barb!! Love & hugs!

      Delete
  5. I never played with dolls as a child, but loved my stuffed animals. And yes, I write better than I speak, and jeans are my go-to wear each and every day.
    Blessings, Terri!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tracing ones "lineage" is a lot of fun... once you get it started others fill in.. I agree...back to 1590 here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love my jeans too! I have my everyday jeans and my dress up jeans. I had a tiny tears doll, I loved her and kept her for many years. I decided to let my girls play with her and she got lost somewhere along the way. Enjoyed reading your answers today!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Barbie! I am glad to read so many others get tongue tied too. I hate it when I do that. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't know if I would have thought so as a kid, but the way your hubby grew up sounds like it would be so much fun to me now! Love to hear you are feeling blessed. :) Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your answer to #2 could well have come out of my own mouth. I'll bet there's more like us than one might guess. I've nothing to base this on, but I think children raised in multi-generational families grow into more responsible -- and respectful -- adults.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ha! No push ups here either!
    #2 - that's exactly me!
    I think people that have several generations in the house are pretty smart and I wish it was done more often.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your answers made me laugh sometimes, especially your avatar at the bottom! I definitely cannot do any pushups!! We lived in multi-generational houses a few times. When Lisa was a baby we lived with Dick's parents and younger brothers for seven weeks. When we moved from Lancaster County to State College in 2010 we lived with Anthony, Lori, and Austin for a year.

    ReplyDelete