Thanks to Annie for this week's Tuesday 4!! You can join in HERE!
Heigh-ho, heigh-ho It's Off to Work We Go #14
Welcome to Tuesday 4 started by Toni Taddeo and kept going in honor and memory of her.
This week is about work.
1. Describe the best job you ever had why was it good? (if it was awful, tell us about that instead) By far it was my 20+ years at Polk Museum of Art. I was the Administrator which meant (basically) all of the un-sexy work at an art museum. I was the accountant, human resources, supervised the Operations & Security department, as well as Visitor Services and the gift shop (retail). I was fortunate to have great managers in the operations/security and retail/visitor services areas, leaving me free for the very busy accounting work (including payroll). Human resources was relatively easy because we had a great staff with great retention. We were seriously like family and all worked amazingly well together. I was so blessed and still enjoy the many friendships made while there.
2. How did you learn to do your job? Years of experience plus everyday OJT (on the job training). There was always something new to learn!
3. You are now in charge of your town's public relations committee.. Tell us why we need to move to your town. Oh my goodness, I sing the praises of Lakeland, Florida all the time. We are halfway between Orlando and Tampa (a bit closer to Tampa), which puts us 40 minutes from all the major theme parks, 20 minutes from Legoland, in Winter Haven, and an hour away from the beautiful beaches of St. Pete Beach (90 minutes from Daytona, on the Atlantic). Lakeland, itself, hosts the Detroit Tigers spring training each year; we have the largest collection of Frank Lloyd Wright-designed buildings in one place with 12 structures on the campus of Florida Southern College (a private Methodist college) located in our Lake Morton Historic District. The LMHD is made up of many, many 1920s Craftsman-style homes. We have beautiful parks, beautiful lakes (including a bird sanctuary). Publix supermarkets was founded in Polk County and their headquarters is located here in Lakeland where they support all of the non-profits and other philanthropic endeavors here. We have the Hollis Gardens and the Barnett Family Park to name just two. Don't forget to stop at the Polk Museum of Art, have a cup of coffee at Black & Brew, and then grab a fish sandwich at Mr. Fish. You can sit on the Library lawn and watch all the swans and other waterfowl on Lake Morton! Come see us!!


4. It's lunchtime! Build your perfect sandwich for us... what's in it and on it and what's in our cups? How about a club sandwich on toasted wheat bread with piles of honey ham, roasted turkey, bacon, sharp cheddar cheese, topped with some tomato, lettuce, and mayonnaise. I would probably just have water but sweet tea would also be good, along with some kettle-cooked chips!
Thanks for stopping in today!
Peace & hugs!! God bless!!


Mmm your sandwich sounds yummy. Lakeland sounds like a great place. Have a great day!
ReplyDeleteLakeland is in the middle of everything it sounds like and so glad you enjoy living there. I remember when you worked at the museum and how you enjoyed it but bet you enjoy being free to do what you want to now. I like the sound of your sandwich! Blessings to you and Joe.
ReplyDeleteLove your answers.. I would definitely visit Lakeland and have a club sandwich with you.
ReplyDeleteHave a great day
Phoebe x
Boy, has Lakeland changed. If it wasn't so hot and humid we would entertain moving back to FL. (and believe me it got discussed). Thanks Terri, I posted a video of our town too, and I really like those kind of videos.
ReplyDeleteHave a great day friend. smiles
The club sandwich sounds good. We're going to have something like that except on a bed of lettuce today for lunch. Trying to use what we have and make it tasty! I love Lakeland. My Dad lived there for many years. Take care and stay healthy!
ReplyDeleteI agree, Lakeland is a super place in which to live. Now, I'm wondering why, when we moved in '88, it never crossed our minds. Love the enduring friendships you enjoy with your former colleagues! 6-7 of my coworkers (from the TV station) are friends on Facebook but everyone's scattered to differing parts of the country.
ReplyDeleteIT is good when you love your hometown. I love FWB. It is the best place for me indeed.
ReplyDeleteYummy on the sandwich, except I'll take mild cheddar! lol I've been through Lakeland more than once. My oldest attended Warner University which is in Lake Wales and now she lives in Riverview which is a suburb of Tampa. I also see on the map that Plant City isn't too far away from you. My Uncle pastored a congregation there at one time and I remember visiting them there too.
ReplyDeleteI graduated from Warner University too!! Small world. Let me know the next time you are coming this way!
DeleteI would move to Lakeland on your recommendation Terrie. Right now just traveling ANYWHERE is a lovely thought. Hang in there!!
ReplyDeleteCome on down... any time!
DeleteYes... if not for the heat and hurricanes I would still be in Florida but not as far south as Fort Myers....subtropical...rain rain rain all summer and the humidity but those winters were special... :)
ReplyDeleteYES! I am coming with you to have a club sandwich, that is what I picked too. Loved your answers! Have a nice Tuesday!
ReplyDeletehttp://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/
You've convinced me, Terri, that Lakeland is a place we should plan to visit one day. Sounds amazing!
ReplyDeleteBlessings!
I am happy to be a tour guide!! Just let me know when you are headed this way!
DeleteNOthing as tasty as a good club sandwich especially if that bacon is crispy! Yum!!!! Your job sounds wonderful !
ReplyDeleteAnd your place there sounds crucial.. You are one smart cookie to handle all of that!
Your job sounds amazing as does Lakeland! I've seen so many photos of it on Kim McCole's photography blog. Its a beautiful place.
ReplyDeleteYour job was very similar to my last job at the Presbyterian Church, although I think you had a much larger payroll and place to manage than mine, but when you have to wear so many hats it can become very stressful no matter how big or small. I can tell you loved your work and they loved you. That makes it so much easier! Lakeland sounds like an ideal location. I haven't been there in many years, but hope to come back and visit sometime...we almost did this past year, but it didn't work out. Maybe next year, who knows? Your sandwich sounds good...just big! LOL. Have a blessed and beautiful day.
ReplyDeleteWe have known each other awhile - I remember you working at your favorite job and when you retired!
ReplyDeleteTerri, I love your town's description and I will be right over for that sandwich!!
ReplyDeleteOh, wow, wish I could write such a description of our fair city but such is not the case. WE are pitiful and it's getting worse by the year. Our biggest employer and tax base, International Paper closed about 10 years ago and it absolutely killed our town. Enjoyed stopping by.
ReplyDeleteOK, I'm convinced. I'm moving to Florida tomorrow. You give a great description of your town.
ReplyDeleteI think your sandwich sounds amazing!
ReplyDeleteYou are already a good PR person for Lakeland. :)
And - I know how you liked your job at the Art Museum.