Monday, February 3, 2020

Monday's Weekend Recap...



We went from expecting another ho-hum weekend to getting a surprise fabulous weekend!!  

Our grandson, Tristan, went to Southern Methodist University (SMU) in Dallas, Texas.  He interned at Lockheed Martin the summer between his Junior & Senior years and they offered him a job to start after graduation.  He has been working there, in Dallas, for the last 8-9 months.  All along, he wanted to transfer back to Florida.  We knew he was interviewing but hadn't heard anything until we got his phonecall on Thursday asking to come over for the weekend! Of course, we are thrilled!!  He has been in Orlando for two weeks but wanted to keep it a secret until he was settled in and had time to come over.  

Turns out his mom hadn't been in touch with us because she was afraid to give it away, and we hadn't heard from his dad (over in the mid-east) for over a week (had us a little worried, actually) because he also knew and said he couldn't keep it a secret if he talked to us.  They both wanted Tristan to have his surprise.  Sweet.

Our boy stayed all night and even went to church with us!!  We went out to eat for lunch after church and he stayed a couple more hours before heading home.  Bless his heart, he sent a text telling us he arrived home safely.  Love that boy!

Tristan & Grandpa at Thai Oshi for dinner Saturday night.

A silly selfie at Glory Days for lunch on Sunday.

Tristan loves cats and has a cat (Astrid) who lives with his mom and stepdad down in Naples, so he had fun with our three while he was here.  Our Lucy loves shoes.  If you take your shoes off at our house, Lucy will be in them...


It is interesting getting to know our grandson as an adult (albeit only 23).  We really don't know him since we haven't seen him, to spend any time with him, since he was in high school.  I was going to cook but didn't know what foods he likes/doesn't like.  We don't know his hobbies or what he does for fun anymore, so this opportunity to spend time with him over these next months is precious. We did talk about it a little!  Most of you have small grandchildren but I would welcome your experience in this area!!

We have a few appointments this week but it isn't crazy for us.  We are hosting our immediate neighbors on Saturday for a dinner party. It has been a few months since we have all been together. I'm just doing baked ziti, salad, etc. Not hard to put together. Sharon offered to bring dessert so I accepted her offer. We love our neighbors!!

I am writing this while the Super Bowl is on. So far I have not been impressed with the commercials. Hoping for a favorite before the game is over.  SF is ahead 20-10 right now.  The half-time show was awful.  What has happened to wholesome?  Oh, and we have heard from Kathy (Tristan's mom) and our son, who called an hour after Tristan left.  God is good!



Thanks for your visit!  Peace & hugs!!  God bless!!




17 comments:

  1. So glad you got to spend some time with Tristan and to hear his good news that he is much closer now. What a nice surprise! Hope you have a good Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful blessing and surprise. You are doing just fine with him...I'm sure he didn't want anything special except to be with you, and that is wonderful! You are blessed that he is going to be so close now. That will give you an opportunity to really get to know him better and enjoy his company from time to time. I wish my grandson could come down and visit, but he lives in Maine and that's just too far! We are hoping and praying we can go up there in the fall for a visit for his 21st birthday. Still trying to figure out the details and also see if we can afford such a trip. Our son and DIL here want to go with us, so that should be a lot of fun. Your dinner party sounds so nice and fun. You do that a lot...I am happy for you to have good neighbors and friends that you can enjoy and have fellowship with. That is a blessing!!! Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't find the commercials very special....but I half paid attention... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't watch the Superbowl. How nice that you got to spend time with your grandson. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a nice visit with your grandson and how sweet that his parents didn't want to give away his secret. I'm glad it all came together for you guys. I think you'll get to know him again naturally since he's living closer again. I wouldn't stress on it too much. He seems like a wonderful young man who will make the time to be with you.

    I really liked the NFL commercial with the kids running across the country and ending with them running into the stadium live. That was pretty awesome. I also thought Bill Murray's Jeep commercial with the groundhog was pretty clever, but maybe because I only live about an hour from Punxy and Phil and all the big Groundhog Day festivities, I'm not exactly impartial. lol

    Have a blessed and wonderful week, Terri!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Time with the grands is precious indeed. Especially as they get older. I know you enjoyed the weekend. I did not even watch the Superbowl but Marvin did. He was pulling for the Chiefs as their kicker was a GT grad. What passes for entertainment these days is troubling isnt it???

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know my grandmother always used to say that to us about how she's enjoyed seeing us turn into adults. It is crazy to see them grow up - I envision what all our Grands will do as adults too.
    Lucy & the shoes - that's funny!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Super excited for you to spend time with Tristan!! That is so fantastic!! What a lovely thing that everyone conspired to keep the secret and he was able to tell you himself!!! Enjoy getting to know him as an adult!!! I also was not impressed with watching the Super Bowl but I loved the halftime show! WOW is all!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well that was a super surprise ----way better than the super bowl. I actually slept in my recliner for most of it. I had a busy weekend and just took me a good nap. I missed the halftime altogether, but Hubby said it was terrible. Where did fun family entertainment go?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The halftime show was VULGAR. I thought it was awful. You didn't miss anything!

      Delete
  10. Oh, what a joyous time for Joe and you, Terri! Tristan is certainly a handsome young man, and I know you will enjoy seeing him more frequently. Good to know that you don't have too many appointments to get in the way of simply enjoying your week, too.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a thoughtful young man! Oh, I know you'll cherish getting to know one another again. (I chuckled at his parent's saying they couldn't keep a secret!) I don't think I'm a prude, but have to agree. That halftime 'performance' was vulgar. 90% of the commercials, Tom and I'd just look at each other like, 'huh?' Disappointing, yes!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tristan sounds like a TERRIFIC young man - you are so blessed - and good for him!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. How nice that you could spend time with your grandson. I like the commercial of the man reflecting on his time with his wife. The dog with cancer and the boy running with the football. Though I like JLo and Shakira, I was totally disappointed with the provocative performance. It was not appropriate for a family show!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What an awesome surprise! I would have been like Tristan's mom and dad---hard-pressed to not spill the beans. Since Orlando is relatively close, I suspect you and Joe will be getting to see him pretty regularly. You will soon discover his food likes!

    Oh, and a huge congratulations to Tristan on his new job!

    We didn't even watch the Super Bowl, but despite not being interested in it, Gary took part in an office pool, and he ended up winning $50. All because his name was on the right square at the end of the game. The guy who had the 0-0 square won $100, as 2nd quarter was 10-10, and 3rd was 20-10.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I saw your post about Tristan on FB and was so happy for you both! A new job and so close to you - such great news!
    We didn't watch the SB, but I heard a lot about how poorly done the half time show was.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is really special that Tristan wanted to surprise you! He will probably be a busy guy, but if he does FB or Instagram at all, that may be a way to stay in touch. And texting now and then is an easy way. I think your home cooked meals will be a draw.

    ReplyDelete