Hodgepodge Questions-Volume 197
- 1. We celebrate Veteran's Day in the US of A on November 11th. When did you last interact with a member of the armed forces (either currently serving or retired)? Have you ever written a letter to a soldier, bought a meal or coffee for a solider, said an unprompted thank you to a soldier you encountered out and about somewhere? If you're not in the US, comment on a similar holiday in your own country. Oh, a subject near and dear to my heart!!
- Joe is a veteran, so I interact with him every day!! His two brothers served in the Marine Corp and one of our nephews is an officer in the Marine Corp. Our oldest son is civilian army (probably doesn't count, but his pay is from the DoD, and he spent 10 months in Kuwait and 6 months in Korea). My dad was in the army.
- We write thank-you notes to veterans, who are in the hospital, at every DAR meeting (monthly). Awhile back, Joe and I were in IHOP, having dinner. A serviceman, dressed in uniform, came in with his wife and two small sons. We anonymously paid for their meal. Whenever I see a soldier in uniform, I thank them.
- We (Joe & I) participated in one of the wonderful Honor Flights, for WWII Vets (and others) to visit the monuments in Washington, DC. We were not prompted to say thanks, but by being there, waving the flag, and applauding, I think the returning Vets got the idea that we were thanking them. There were over 3,000 people at the airport, to welcome them home. Honor Flights are wonderful. Take part in one, if you get the chance.
2. You can have fifty pounds of anything at all (except money)...what would you choose? Well, I could answer chocolate, or pasta, but seriously - I would take 50 pounds of food and donate it to our church's food bank. There really isn't 50 pounds of anything that I need, but lots of people are not so fortunate.
3. When did you last receive an invitation in the 'real' mail? What was it for and did you attend? When it comes to RSVP-ing, are you an 'early responder' or a 'last minute, barely-under-the-wire' kind of guest? We recently received an invitation for a 95th birthday party, for a friend. Her son and daughter-in-law are throwing the party for her. Judy is an amazing woman, who has survived breast cancer twice. You would never (really!) know she is 95 years old. We will be attending and have RSVPd. It is only polite and respectful to be prompt with your RSVP. It's sad that so many are not.
4. What's something you really don't like to waste? Money; food; coffee (I drink it cold, if I have to!); time.....
5. Cheers, Friends, MASH, Seinfeld...of the ones listed, your favorite long-running sitcom? How can you choose just one of those? I loved them all. Watched every episode of all of them, I think.
6. What decision are you glad you made? To marry Joe!!
7. In this month of 'Thanksgiving' what is one thing that's different today than it was a year ago that you're grateful for? Last year, we had Thanksgiving dinner for four. This year, it will be for NINE!! Our oldest son and his wife moved to Georgia a few months ago and are now only four hours away, instead of 18 hours away. Our granddaughter, Lauren, is now only three hours away, instead of 19 hours away (though she isn't joining us for Thanksgiving - darn it). My sister and her husband are also coming for Thanksgiving, so I am on 'Cloud Nine' with anticipation of our first "bigger" family Thanksgiving dinner, in quite a few years.
8. Insert your own random thought here. I'm not sure how random it is, but I am loving our weather right now! No humidity, the temps are in the high 70s or low 80s during the day, and in the 60s at night. We leave the bedroom window open at night, and the fresh, cool air feels so good!! This is the weather we love, here in Florida, and it will be with us through April.
Thanks for checking out my Hodgepodge answers! It is good to have Joyce back in charge of our Wednesdays! Peace & blessings, y'all!!
So fun to have a full house at Thanksgiving. That's one of my favorite things in all the world. Ours will be a little different this year as neither of my girls will be home for the holiday. My oldest is going out west to meet her moving truck and car and get her belongings into the house so its all set up for after the wedding. She'll be coming back here for a while after Thanksgiving, but won't be home on the holiday. My youngest is going to her boyfriend's as they invite her every year and it hasn't worked out for her to go. This seemed to be the year. Our neighbors have invited us for dinner and she'll have a full house so it will be fun and festive and she's a wonderful cook, so also delicious : ) But still...no daughters in the house.
ReplyDeleteGood Morning Terri! I always love your Hodgepodge answers! A big thank you to Joe for his service to protecting our great country! My father in-law, brother in-laws, nephew, and many cousins and dear friends have served. We always send a care package to a loved one in the service but I'm happy to say my nephew and cousins are both home now so I will be sending to someone my church has chosen. I agree picking a favorite old sitcom is almost impossible! Your weather sounds so beautiful! Enjoy!
ReplyDeleteGoing to be in 60's here in NJ today. Love this weather.
ReplyDeleteWe are going to MIL's house for Thanksgiving. Yay for me since I won't have to cook and no clean up.
Have a great day!
I can sense your excitement over Thanksgiving! I'm glad you'll have lots of family gathered around you :)
ReplyDeleteOur weather, this week, has been just about perfect. Too bad a cold front is going to ruin it soon...
Sounds like you have a wonderful Thanksgiving planned!
ReplyDeleteEnjoy you thanksgiving and keep that Florida weather until I come down in March.
ReplyDeleteWow, Terri. Those are wonderful things you do for our Vets. Have a great Thanksgiving.
ReplyDeleteI agree with so many of your answers, and even laughed at the cold coffee. I can drink my coffee cold too!
ReplyDeleteThe celebration that is similar to Veterans' Day here is Armed Forces' Day on October 12th. The person I most remember on Veterans' Day is my uncle Cecil. He spent 3 years in a POW camp in Germany. When he was released he weighed something like 70 pounds. He said the soldier who carried him out of the camp cried. His was just one of many sad stories from a war.
I will also drink my coffee cold if I have to. Never waste a drop. :)
ReplyDeleteYou and I have so much in common, but this is one we are totally opposite on - have a big crowd for T.giving or any day. I am just not up to it. Cleaning, cooking, smiling when I dont want to, etc. I have turned into an old grouch. You are so much of a giver, I wasnt surprised at all your answers. Yesterday, Murphy's step daughter came over and brought Jim a letter she had written to him, thanking him for his service and how proud she was to be his g.daughter.
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful thing for Murphy's step-daughter to do!! Linda, I know you enjoy your family's get-togethers when they are at one of the kids' houses - and for a reason!... but trust me when I say I will be worn out....but I do enjoy cooking for a crowd and having people I love joining us for (especially) Thanksgiving. I'll have lots of help, too. Any of them will do whatever I ask them to do.
DeleteYour weather is entirely too nice.... I'll send you some of our snow that's falling today. It's +1 degree in my town right now (@ noon). Loved your responses to how to thank veterans. You have given me some ideas.
ReplyDeleteI always love the dry warm weather rather than humid, but I enjoy our colder season here too. 29 last night. Very cozy. I can tell you are so blessed because you are such a blessing to many others. Love the veteran good deeds and your generosity for the 50 pounds. I feel a little shallow in my answer, but really couldn't think of anything I wanted 50 pounds of. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving. Your house sounds like a fun place to be of that occasion.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the smiles. It looks like it will just be us 3 for Thanksgiving, maybe hubbys uncle...anyways..great q's and a's. Blessings
ReplyDeleteRick was an army vet - so thank you to Joe as well. My favorite sitcom was Everyone Loves Raymond which i did not watch until it went into reruns!
ReplyDeleteWhat wonderful treatment you offer our veterans, Terri. God bless you and Joe. I can tell by your temps that you need to visit Wisconsin. Lol I know how great it is to have family closer. I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving.
ReplyDeleteFun to read your answers, Terri. We are expecting much cooler temps; we got out in the yard and did a little work today. Have a good night.
ReplyDeleteI don't know that I could host that many people for Thanksgiving. I've only done it once in 30 years and wouldn't want to do it again.
ReplyDeleteVery nice thought about taking 50 pounds of food to the food bank at church. I'm getting better on not wasting money. I too do not like to waste food. I too loved all of those sitcoms and watched every episode! Love your "cloud nine" for Thanksgiving.....enjoy!
ReplyDelete