Today was the Lake Morton Historic Home Tour, which I look forward to every year. We got there around 11:30 a.m. (starts at 11:00), got our wrist bands, a bottle of water, and our tour books.
The first home on the tour was the new Usonian House, by Frank Lloyd Wright. I've written about it before. It is the newest building by architect Frank Lloyd Wright, designed in 1939, but not built until 2013. It now serves as part of the welcome center for Florida Southern University and the street it fronts on was renamed Frank Lloyd Wright Way (used to be McDonald Street).
This is Mr. Wright's likeness, ready to greet all visitors.
The back of the Usonian House.
Looking out the Master Bedroom window, at the gift shop and starting point for the tour.
This is the master bedroom, but it is set up with benches and a TV, to tell visitors about Frank Lloyd Wright.
A FLW designed lamp in one of the rooms. Notice how low the ceilings are! They are only 6 feet 8 inches.
This is the dining room.
The next house was actually empty and is for sale.
It is one of only two or three houses in Lakeland that actually has a basement (we are too near sea level for dry basements!). I didn't go into the basement, or upstairs (knees!) but the hardwood floors are beautiful, as are the built-ins and stained glass windows.
Below is the dining room, with great built-ins!
After house #2, we actually saw #3, but I totally forgot to take a photo of it. The inside had been completely gutted and re-done. It was very nice, especially the bathroom and kitchen!
House #10 on the tour was close by, so we went out of order. A sweet young couple, expecting their first baby, own this house. The inside is nice, but they really haven't done anything to it. The upstairs was not on the tour, but the owners told us it is only storage right now. There were two bedrooms on the first floor.
I got home in time for Mass, at 4:00, then we went out to dinner at Texas Roadhouse, and did some grocery shopping at Publix. Tomorrow I'll clean a bit and do the laundry.
Hope you have had a good start to your weekend, and I wish you a good Sunday!! Thanks for stopping by!! Peace, love & hugs, dear friends!








B

Sure hate you had to go to work on your day off - - - it does kill a weekend. Looks like it was fun until then. And you didn't have to cook supper!
ReplyDeleteAw, poo to missing the rest of the homes after buying the tickets! :-( I love built-ins and stained glass that you find in fine old houses. They just don't make 'em like they used to.
ReplyDeleteBummer! The tour was looking so enjoyable too. Sometimes you wish you never answered the phone!
ReplyDeleteAwwww sorry you had to miss the rest of he tour. I love those built ins. I love looking at houses. Have a great Sunday!
ReplyDeleteBummer that you didn't get to see the other houses! I hope all is okay at work.
ReplyDeletexo
Sheila
Sheila, everything is fine at the Museum. It was to meet with a vendor we've been trying to see for weeks, and he was back in the Tampa area and could see us in Lakeland at 1:30. We had to jump when we could.
DeleteAwe..bummer..at least you got to see a few. Lovely homes. Blessings
ReplyDeleteI wasn't expecting a meeting as the reason for your disappointment! I know how much you enjoy these tours. The very first thing I noticed about your first photos was the low, low ceilings. In Spain, our ceilings tend to be higher than the ones in American homes. You, being tall, must have felt uncomfortable.
ReplyDeleteYes, Brenda, I could not live in a FLW home. He was short, himself, and didn't think about taller people feeling claustrophobic in his buildings. He was all about using space and probably thought high ceilings made for wasted space. I like high ceilings - but I am six feet tall, too!!
Delete...too bad work/meeting had to interrupt a leisurely day. I think it was a bit inconsiderate of the vendor. It's like your time isn't as important as his? Gimme a break.
ReplyDeleteLove the photos, Terri. Sorry you had to miss the rest of the houses. Love those craftsman homes.
ReplyDeleteSorry you missed the rest of your tour. Every year you talk about this and every year I want to join you. That is just one fun way to spend a day. I especially want to see the Wright house.
ReplyDelete