My blog is also my 'journal' so that I can look back now and then, so...
I will back up to Wednesday. I went to dinner with women from my church. There were 17-18 of us at Il Forno Italian Restaurant and it was a very nice evening of good food, femaleship, and good conversation.
On Thursday, after work, I finally got to the jeweler's to inquire about selling the rest of Helen's jewelry that she gave to Joe and me 6 months or so ago. We just kept putting it off, but with the sale of her home getting closer, I had to just go get it done. I took a few pieces a week ago that I thought were worth the most. The jeweler (a friend of Joe's) told me to bring it all in because there would probably be more - and he was right. She had some very nice pieces and I am happy they are sold. It didn't quite cover one month of her 'rent' at the assisted living facility but almost. I am glad to not have it in my home anymore.
Thursday evening was meeting time for my small group from church. We are meeting in person, at the church, now, but haven't returned to meeting in homes and sharing dinner. It is better than zooming, however!
On Friday, my across-the-street neighbors took me out for lunch at Longhorn Steakhouse. It is always fun to catch up with them. They are about to leave for the northland and a nice long visit with family.
Saturday morning was a clean-out day at Helen's house. Cheryl (her niece) joined me for about five hours of going through each room, closets, drawers, cupboards, pantry, etc. to get out anything personal - papers, pictures, etc. We are getting ready to put the house on the market after the contents are sold (soon, I hope). Done with the clean-out. We had six 30-gallon trash bags full of stuff. Cheryl took photos and a few things that were family items and I kept papers that might be needed at some time. Happy to be done with that and it just really made me think about what I am saving that will be discarded someday. We really keep too much minutia. Good golly,
Yesterday was Sunday School and Church. I should have done some cleaning when I got home but I just decided to take it easy and do not much of anything. At work today I will begin doing FIVE online training sessions. My boss is on vacation and told me to take the time to get the mandatory training done. After work, I am returning to my former employer's business to train his new employee. He called me late last week to tell me he fired my replacement and has a new person starting today. He is paying me to come in for a couple of hours today and for tomorrow (if needed). Bless his heart. I feel bad that I left him and I had a feeling my replacement wouldn't be there long. I spent an hour on the phone with her two different days walking her through things. Anyway, I feel bad for Ed and I can use the extra money so it is all okay. Have a blessed week!!
LUCY UPDATE: The bandage comes off this evening!!

Sounds like you had a busy week.
ReplyDeleteMaybe when you go back in to train the new employee at your old job, you could write everything down like what gets done daily + monthly + give a copy to the boss to keep in case this next employee doesn't work out. I've done that at a few prior jobs and my old bosses were very grateful that I had done it.
Yay on Lucy!!!
Have a great day!
There is a list already...
DeleteAnd the woman I trained took a lot of notes.
DeleteYou make me feel like a slug. *lol* I like to stay busy like that too. I hope the new replacement at the old job stays. Poor guy. It seems it's getting harder and harder for employers to keep quality people.
ReplyDeleteHelen is so blessed to have friends like you and Joe. Y'all are good people. A couple of years ago, I've gone through almost everything in the attic and culled the paperwork. I'm only keeping what's needed in case of an audit and a couple other things. I've also labeled everything clearly so if someone has to go through my Estate, they will know what exactly can be burnt and what should be kept. I wish everyone would take the time go through their "junk" even if they are young. Auditing an Estate is time consuming. Simplicity is a good thing. Been there, done that.
Blessings. xx
I am glad to hear Lucy is doing better.
ReplyDeleteI know what you mean about cleaning out stuff. It makes you think a lot about how much we have. I have done that sort of thing too many times. I am now really trying to go through things slowly and eliminate stuff here so I don't leave a burden for someone else. My big thing is bringing less in. I have been working on that contentment thing this past year. IT has helped. IF you don't bring it in then you won't have more stuff to clean.
Poor guy ---you are a good lady to help him, but then I already knew that!
Have a good day:)
Oh, my goodness, Terri, what a busy week you had! Danny and I were doing much the same at Mom's house as you were doing at Helen's - there was just so much absolutely unnecessary papers, etc., that Mom had hoarded, and we still have more to go through. Like you, it made me think of the amount of junk we are accumulating that someone will have to go through one day. I'm going to make sure I'm streamlined!
ReplyDeleteGlad Lucy is on the mend, too. :)
Waving to Lucy! Poor thing, I feel so bad for her and you. It hit me yesterday when we came in from house hunting, that we sure have a lot to move, after 8 yrs of living here...stuff has just accumulated, immensely. lol
ReplyDeleteHave a beautiful day Terri. smiles
Wow, Terri! Lots of lessons here -- first and foremost, cleaning up my own minutia that Troy won't have to face. I've not many, but several pieces of jewelry to take the local estate jeweler but keep 'forgetting' about it. (Yeah, right.)
ReplyDeletePoor Ed! Fingers crossed this one will be a better fit. Longhorn Steakhouse? That's my favorite local spot; you've got no shortage of NICE neighbors! Miss Lucy looks so pretty in pink, but I know she'll be happy to rid herself of that onesie.
After this move, I totally agree with you about what we keep, Terri. I got rid of a lot of things. Marvin is more of a pack rat but even he got rid of a lot. So glad your new job sounds good for you. And Bless your heart, I am sure Ed wishes he could have kept you. I am sure you are a treasure.
ReplyDeleteLucy looks so cute in her Onesie, like playing dress-up! I'm glad she's making progress with her recovery.
ReplyDeleteCleaning out stuff (both mine and that of relatives) -- I've done that a lot. It's not fun but the feelings of accomplishment afterwards are good.
You lead a busy life. I'm glad you gave yourself some time off yesterday. I have absolutely no doubt you needed it.
Yay for Lucy! She is so cute in her shirt. Sounds like you had some really good time with friends this week.
ReplyDeleteSoundz like a busy week. I feel you about cleaninv out a house I had to do my parents and had a hard time with letting go. Have a great week.
ReplyDeleteI don't know how you managed to do all of the above in one week! You are amazing! And what a wonderful friend you are to Helen! She is certainly blessed to have you (& Joe!) for such trusted friends. Wow! And now to have to go back and train another replacement for a job you barely had time to learn yourself...you are wonderful to do that for the employer. So happy to see Lucy looking good and getting back to herself! Now, please do take some time for YOU to just "chill" when you can. Your energy amazes me! Thank you for being such a dear friend to so many.
ReplyDeleteHooray for Lucy!
ReplyDeleteSounds like a very busy week for you. Glad you had some fun times too. Bless you for all you've been doing for Helen. You are a good friend. (And a good employee too!) I hope the new one works out for your old employer.
And I hope you get some down time!
I might have to try a onsie for my dog. She gets stressed when we are not home. It is so nice that you have been there for your friend. Nice that you get together with your friends from church. Our Lifegroup just ended for the summer though we will have a few get togethers this summer. Enjoy your new job!
ReplyDeleteYou are one busy lady!!! I can't seem to remember how you knew Helen in the first place. (Did I ask this before?) I guess I was thinking you just met her here at the community where you live. But obviously your friendship goes further back than that, right? Bless you for being there to take care of all her things.
ReplyDelete