Saturday, February 17, 2018

Saturday 9 with the Supremes...

Baby Love

















Welcome to Saturday: 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love memes, however, and here is today's meme!

Saturday 9: Baby Love (1964)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) When this song was popular, the Supremes were known for their elaborate hairstyles, makeup and full-length gowns. When was the last time you got dressed up?  Last year for the Museum's The Gala.  I had to work, but Joe and I got to dress up and have a 5-star meal before the auction ended and I had to go to work.  Every February, except that stops now.  We won't go this year because it costs $800 a couple.  Free was better!!  




2) "The girls," as they were known to the engineers and executives at Motown Records, were Florence Ballard, Mary Wilson, and Diana Ross. They began singing together when they were high school classmates. Are you still in touch with any friends from your high school days?  Yes, I sure am and have written about them many times. 



3) Mary Wilson was born in Mississippi and her family moved a great deal before settling in Detroit, where she fatefully met Florence and Diana. Were you uprooted often when you were a child?  I lived in four different houses from birth to marriage the first time.  That's not too bad.  Or did you spend your school years in the same neighborhood?  I got to attend the same school from fifth grade through high school graduation.

4) The Supremes began as a quartet called the Primettes. In addition to Mary, Flo, and Diana, there was Betty McGlown. In 1960, Betty left the group to get married and was replaced by Barbara Martin. In 1962, Barbara left the group to have a baby. They quit trying to replace the fourth voice, soldiered on as a trio, and made pop history. Have you ever found yourself in a position similar to Betty's or Barbara's, where you had to make a difficult decision and choose between your personal life and your career?  Nope.

5) Thinking of babies and "baby love," is anyone in your life expecting a baby in 2018?  Not that I have heard about as of this minute. We have some new babies in the family, though!

6) With twelve #1 hits on the Billboard Hot 100, The Supremes remain America's most commercially successful recording group, and this song (along with "Stop! In the Name of Love") is one of the most popular karaoke songs. If we handed you the mic this morning and absolutely insisted you perform, what song would you choose (any song, any genre)?  Ha!! No one wants to hear me sing.  How about one verse of Mary Had a Little Lamb or one verse of Jesus Loves Me.

7) Original group member Florence Ballard left the group in 1967. She died of cardiac arrest in 1976 at the age of 32. Since February is National Heart Month, it seems appropriate to ask: Is anyone in your life battling heart disease?  Yes.  Joe has five stents in his heart and battles congestive heart failure all the time. It runs in his family on both sides.

8) Florence Ballard's brother, Hank, wrote Chubby Checker's famous dance song, "The Twist." When did you last dance?  New Year's Eve.

9) Random question: Close your eyes and visualize the most beautiful place you've ever been. Now describe it to us.  I saw beautiful places every day we were in Italy.  I see beauty most weeks at the farm.  I see beauty at the beach. I don't really have words to describe the beauty I see in Joe's face when he looks at me. Life is beautiful, Y'all. 



Thanks to Crazy Sam for another interesting and fun Saturday 9!!  You can join the fun HERE!!

Thanks for your visit today!  Happy Saturday!  Peace & hugs!!



13 comments:

  1. Your life is peaceful and happy and you are so blessed. Retirement definitely agrees with you. Happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and Joe are so cute, Terri, smiles. I hope you have a beautiful weekend, smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved the Supremes. Brings back lots of good memories. And Chubby Checker! Oh my! Yes, let's do the twist. However, my twist can't twist like it used too! LOL! Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Supremes were winding down by the time I began to like popular music but they were amazing singers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awwww gee, Teri. You are a hopeless romantic in spite of what you think. Your answer to the random proves it!
    You and Joe get to dress up often. And our husbands share the heart problems!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Q1 - I have never dressed up like the Supremes. I'd probably be arrested if I do.

    Q3 - I think my parents loved adventure. When I was young I often went to school and when I returned home I'd find they had moved house.

    Q9 - The most beautiful place I have seen was a few seconds ago; me and a large bar of chocolate.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How nice you both look all dressed up! And it's great you have photos to remember these special occasions! Enjoy your weekend. I hope you are feeling good! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I so miss having an opportunity to dress in formal wear! Lovely pictures, but hands down my fav is #1 ...what a lovely dress ... and your date's not bad either. (*smile*)

    My goodness, your statement about the beauty in Joe's face made tears spring to my eyes for a second!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I also love your last comment about Joe looking at you. That was really, really sweet. I remember the Supremes well. They were very popular when I was in school. Yes, I stay in touch with several of my school friends. Our 50th class reunion will be later this year. That will be fun. I was in the same school from the 2nd semester of 1st grade all the way through 12th grade. We had moved to Brooksville, FL. from PA, where I started 1st grade. My dad's new job didn't work out as he hoped, and so we moved to Tavares over the Christmas break and I started the new year at the new school. Best move we ever made. So thankful for growing up in the same town/school for all those years. Loved your dressed up pictures. Very nice. I haven't dressed up fancy in so long...I miss it. It would be fun to do something really fancy once in a while just to play dress up again! LOL. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awww - I enjoyed all of this but that last comment about Joe was the best.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the pictures of you and Joe all gussied up! It's fun to do that once in a while and you got to do it yearly. Sorry it has to end...but YIKES! $800 per couple is pretty steep.

    Your answer to #9 is so sweet. I love your happy, positive outlook on life. It always cheers me and makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete