Saturday, January 23, 2016

A Saturday:9 Tribute to Glenn Frey....

If you hop over to the Saturday:9 Blog, you will see that 2016 is their 10th year doing this Meme!! That's pretty amazing, Saturday after Saturday for 10 years!!  Thank you, Samantha and WTIT for keeping up with this fun Saturday event each week (and the Sunday Stealing Meme, too!)!!


The One You Love

Welcome to Saturday: 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love memes, however, and here is today's meme!

 

Saturday 9: The One You Love (1982)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

In memory of Glenn Frey (1948-2016). 

1) In this song, Glenn explores one of the great romantic conundrums. This week, Saturday 9 is confronting it, too. If you had to choose, would you prefer to be loved, or to be in love?  Oh, I think I want to be loved (don't we all?).  Being 'in love' is pretty special, though.

2) The song describes an awkward moment: an old boyfriend calls when a woman is on a date with someone new. To whom did you last say, "I can't talk now?"   If I can't talk, I don't answer the phone.  It goes to voice mail and I call back when I have time to talk.

3) The lyrics talk about heart vs head. When you find yourself in that predicament, which usually wins -- heart or head?  Probably my head, though it really depends on the situation.

4) This song was from Glenn Frey's solo album, No Fun Aloud. What fun stuff are you looking forward to this weekend?  Right now we don't have plans for this weekend, but we are sure looking forward to lots of fun next weekend, when our nephew and his family are here!

5) Glenn Frey was born in Royal Oak, a suburb of Detroit. The Motor City is known for car manufacturing. Is your car domestic or foreign?  Joe and I both drive a Kia, so foreign.  Prior to my current Kia, I always drove a Ford. I owned three Escorts, but when they quit making the Escort, I decided I liked the bigger Kia Sportage SUV. We keep our cars for 10-12 years, by the way, so those three Escorts cover about 30 years of driving a Ford.  My Kia is 10 years old this year and I just crossed over that 100,000 miles mark.

6) The popular 1990s sitcom Home Improvement was set in Royal Oak. Are you handy around the house?   Yes, I am, actually.  I was raised in a "fix-it-yourself" home and learned a lot from my dad and my grandpa.  Both were very adept at fixing and building.  I'm not afraid of a hammer or saw and have actually taken small appliances apart to try to fix them (sometimes successful).

7) Glenn Frey co-founded The Eagles in 1970. What's your favorite Eagles song?   Oh my, I had quite a few Eagles albums growing up and have a couple of Greatest Hits CDs now.  I know the words to so many, I really can't name a favorite.  I guess I'm partial to Hotel California.

8) The Eagles helped define "California Rock," but in recent years Glenn and his wife lived in Tribeca. Have you ever been to New York? If so, did you like it?  I've been to New York City once, and it was in 1970.  I'm not fond of crowds and big cities so I really don't care to go back (though I would love to see the art museums).

9) Glenn wrote "Smuggler's Blues" and "You Belong to the City" for the iconic 1980s TV show, Miami Vice. What else comes to mind when you think of the 80s?  I was "into" country music for most the 80s, but the first thing that pops into my head when the 80s are mentioned is "big hair" and ugly clothes! LOL


Thanks so much for joining us again at Saturday: 9. As always, feel free to come back, see who has participated and comment on their posts. In fact sometimes, if you want to read & comment on everyone's responses, you might want to check back again tomorrow. But it is not a rule. We haven’t any rules here. Join us on next Saturday for another version of Saturday: 9, "Just A Silly Meme on a Saturday!" Enjoy your weekend!

Even when I don't care for the chosen artist for the Saturday:9, I still enjoy the questions and answering them. Sometimes it's more of a challenge than at other times. This one was pretty easy.  

Wishing you a good weekend, and thanks for your visit!!  Peace & hugs.




8 comments:

  1. Always a fun read on a Saturday morning. Hope your weekend is well. We have ice and snow here in NC so not venturing out this weekend. See you next week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good answers this morning. I am like you, I would not like living in New York City...too big, too crowded. Been there, saw it, felt it, and left it. Hope you have a nice weekend, getting ready for your company next. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed your answers. I grew up in upstate NY and have been to the City three times. An exciting place when I was young but wouldn't care to go now. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good Morning, Terri. Good answers and I would never live in a big city, I like the small town we live in now. One day I will make it back down to visit the Christmas windows in NYC.

    Have a beautiful day, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also drive a Kia (Soul), but, if I'm not mistaken, part of it is built in the US, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Since I'm an Eagles fan, I really enjoyed this meme--and reading your answers! Have a great weekend :)

    Kathy (Reflections)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great answers today Terri. I just never paid that much attention to the Eagles and I don't know why, just one of those things! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved the Eagles music....still do. I think Desperado might be my favorite, if I had to pick one. HOPE you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete