Lucky Star
Welcome to Saturday: 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love memes, however, and here is today's meme!
Saturday 9: Lucky Star (1983)
Unfamiliar with this week's song? Hear it here.
1. Have you ever wished upon a star? I'm sure I did when I was little. Not recently, though.
2. In the 1980s, Madonna considered her wrist bangles one of her fashion trademarks. What's one of your fashion trademarks? LOL - I don't have one. Maybe 'comfort'.
3. Though she got good grades, Madonna could be disruptive at school, known for turning cartwheels in the halls between classes. Can you do a cartwheel? Ha - not anymore, but I certainly could, a long, long, long, long time ago.
4. Her high grade point average earned her a dance scholarship to the University of Michigan, home of the Wolverines. Do you follow college football? The Ohio State Buckeyes, definitely. Down with those awful Wolverines!
5. Madonna co-starred in the movie version of Dick Tracy. Do you enjoy comics? My favorite comic is "Pickles", but there are several I try to read every day in the newspaper.
6. She played Argentinian First Lady Eva Peron in the biopic, Evita and directed a movie about Wallis Simpson. What famous 20th century woman do you wish you could meet/could have met? There are many strong, talented women of the 20th century, but one that I actually met (briefly) and had the privilege of hearing speak is artist Faith Ringgold (http://www.faithringgold.com/). She was one of three amazing women artists who were at "my" museum for an Art Symposium, back in 1997/98. The other two artists were Joyce Scott (http://mobilia-gallery.com/artists/jscott/) and Miriam Schapiro (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miriam_Schapiro). That Symposium was one of those experiences that you carry with you for life. At one point, the tears just ran down my cheeks from the joy of hearing Joyce Scott sing. Amazing women who came through hardship to create amazing art.... I would love to have lunch with Faith (or all three) and just chat.
7. Madonna authored a children's book called The English Roses. Tell us about a book that had a big impact on you when you were a kid. Silly as it may sound, there are two that I remember and that have stayed with me. Both were made into movies, in later years. "Mary Poppins" and "Darby O'Gill and The Little People". They were books first, and I had them when I was in first/second grade (a long, long, long, long time ago!).
8. One of Madonna's "vocal idols" is Ella Fitzgerald. Who is your all-time favorite female singer? Well, Ella is certainly on my list! How can you pick just one?
9. Madonna once did a Pepsi commercial. What beverages are in your refrigerator right now? Spring Water; Propel (Joe's addiction); Fat Free Milk; Orange Juice; and I think there is beer in the garage 'fridge....
Thanks for checking in today! I wish you a good Saturday/weekend! If you have been reading me this week, you know I am cleaning house today, and finishing the Christmas decorating, in preparation for our son's arrival tomorrow evening! It will be a good week!! Peace & blessings!

I think we are decorating this weekend too. Have a great weekend!
ReplyDeleteOh, my gosh, I haven't thought of Darby O'Gill in eons!!! I LOVED that book!
ReplyDeleteI know we all wished on a star when we were little. Now where I live I'm lucky if I can see one. I always have the following drinks in my fridge: a pitcher of filtered tap water (I try not to buy the bottled), orange juice, milk, a bottle of white wine and at the moment there's a bottle of beer. What you'll never find in my fridge, unless it's for someone else, is any kind of soft drink. Coca Cola and the others would go bankrupt if there were more people like me. Books are one of my passions and I remember the first book I checked out of the library was about a squirrel.
ReplyDeleteHope everyone is enjoying their Saturday.
Enjoyed the questions and your answers. It is amazing to me how much you remember from the past. Hope you got your cleaning and things are ready for your son. Enjoy!
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed your answers. Enjoy your visit with your son. Blessings
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed your answers, too. I'm enjoying the Buckeyes as we speak...Go Bucks! OH IO :) (shout out to Green Bay, too ;)
ReplyDeleteAlthough I am most definitely not a fan of Madonna, this post was interesting. I do remember the movie, Darby O'Gill and the Little People!
ReplyDelete