Saturday, October 10, 2026

October 10th: The Saturday 9 (I'm late!!)

 Thanks to our hostess for today's questions!  Click HERE to join in!!


Big Girls Don't Cry

Welcome to Saturday: 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random questions," so to speak. We encourage you to visit other participants' posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love to answer the questions, however, and here is today's questions!



Saturday 9: Big Girls Don't Cry (1962)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

I totally forgot to post this last night!!  

1) When is the last time you shed a tear?  I am a weeper.  I cry when I laugh, I cry at TV shows, I cry when I see a stranger cry... so probably nearly every day.

2) Lyricist/producer Bob Crewe recalled he got the idea for this song while watching a movie on TV. "Big girls don't cry" was a line from the 1956 film Slightly Scarlet. Give us a quote from another movie.  There's no crying in baseball!  (A League of Their Own, 1992)

3) This inspiration came to Bob during the late night/early morning hours. What time of day are you most productive?  Morning.

4) Bob wrote another song for the Four Seasons, "Silence Is Golden." The band was not happy with their recording and never released it as a single. Three years later, The Tremeloes had an international Top 10 hit with "Silence Is Golden." Tell us about a decision you wish you could do over.  I don't go there.  It is what it is.  I learn from my mistakes and move on.  Don't cry over spilt milk...

5) Before he got his big break, Four Seasons lead singer Frankie Valli worked as a barber. Do you have a hair care appointment scheduled?  Every five weeks.  It was supposed to be today, but she has a bad cold.  I'll see her when I get back from Nashville.
 
6) Oscar-winning actor Joe Pesci has a connection to the band. He was a young chum of Four Seasons founding member Tommy DeVito. By the time DeVito left the group and found himself overwhelmed by gambling debts, Pesci was a star. He helped his friend out, making Tommy his personal assistant and getting him cameo roles in films. Tell us about someone who has been there for you in tough times.  My long-time friend, Elaine.  My sister, Patti.  My dear friends here in Lakeland...  I am blessed beyond measure and am surrounded by love.  That includes Jesus!
 
7) The Four Seasons disbanded in 1977 after 17 years together. The original bandmates reunited onstage in 1990 when they were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. It was an important night for them professionally and personally, too, as it gave the old friends a chance to reconnect and mend fences. Is there anyone from your past you wish you could reach out to?  Thanks to Facebook and email (and Blogger), I am in touch with friends from 50+ years ago.  No one comes to mind as I write this.

8) Another hit song from 1962 was "I Left My Heart in San Francisco." Tony Bennett compares San Francisco to Rome, Paris, and Manhattan. Have you visited any of those four cities? I have been to Rome.  I can't imagine any place here would compare.
 
9) Random question – You're home all alone. Do you close the door when you use the bathroom?  My storm door is locked, so I don't shut the "big" door when I "quickly" go to the bathroom.  I do keep it closed when I am getting my shower.  My friends know if the door is open, I'm dressed and will get to the door.  If it's closed, come back when it is open!  When Joe was alive, we didn't lock the storm door, and people would knock and walk in with a "hello".  I had to stop that now that I am alone in the house.
 
Prayers for all who were/are in the path of the hurricane last night, that includes blogging friend, Sandy.
 
Thanks for your visit here!

Peace and Hugs!!

I Surrender All, Verse 4
--Judson W. Van DeVenter, 1896
All to Jesus, I surrender; Lord, I give myself to Thee; Fill me with Thy love and power; Let Thy blessing fall on me. I surrender all, I surrender all, All to Thee, my blessed Savior, I surrender all.

4 comments:

  1. I am not much of a crier but when my young grandson died, I cried more the first year than the rest of my long life.....

    My husband has firm rules about locked doors which I concede but don't think much about it! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a crier, too, Terri, especially at sad parts in movies or if I see another person in tears. Guess we two just have soft hearts! When it comes to locking our doors, it's a yes. We simply have to be careful in this day and age. Have a splendid weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We don't have any storm doors, and the doors are always locked, crazy I know...sigh. Wishing you a beautiful day, Terri.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm totally a morning person, too! Now I wonder just how annoying I might have been to my former coworkers, haha.
    Funny (not funny), but I'm apt to cry more over animals, news stories and fictional accounts than I am those human souls I hold close. I think that comes from always having to be the "strong" one. I'll be honored to have you cry on my shoulder anytime!

    ReplyDelete