Hodgepodge Questions-Volume 194
1. What's your favorite time of day? Why? Right now, at this time of my life, 5:00 p.m., Monday-Friday, because I can leave work and go home. I used to be more of a morning person, but now I fight getting up at 5:00 a.m. each day. I'm ready to retire, but can't for three more years (unless we win the lottery!). Sigh. I love my job - I just wish the hours were more part time now (with a full time salary!).
2. Waffle iron, toaster, coffee maker, mixer, blender...which small appliance would you say most needs replacing in your house? Our toaster is on its last legs. Joe uses it everyday. I use is just on the weekends, but it is old and doesn't pop up anymore. I need to go shopping soon.
3. It's National Grouch Day (October 15)...what's something that makes you feel grouchy? Getting up at 5:00 a.m. Not enough sleep. Although I really am not too grouchy at any time - maybe behind the wheel when I am stuck behind someone driving too slow....
4. Ever been to Canada? Is that a country you'd like to visit? According to Trip Advisor, the top ten best destinations in Canada are-Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal, Quebec City, Victoria, Calgary, Niagara on the Lake, Niagara Falls, Whistler, and Halifax. Which city would you most like to see? My family, when I was growing up, vacationed in Ontario, Canada, at Nina's Camp, on Rice Lake, every summer. My dad loved to fish and we loved to eat those yummy fresh-water catches. We brought pounds and pounds of fish home from vacation and enjoyed them all winter. So, yes, I believe we did that for five years in a row, for two weeks each time, and we always stopped at Niagara Falls on the way there. I have also toured the Thousand Islands, on the St. Lawrence, and we did travel to Quebec one year, and I saw the changing of the guard there. Canada is beautiful! I have often thought it would be fun to take a train ride across Canada and through the mountains. Have any of you done that?
5. What was your favorite food (or one of your favorites) when you were a child? Is that still a favorite? I can't think of a food that wasn't a favorite! Ha! We were good eaters (and still are)! My brother and sisters and I would fight over the last helping of cauliflower, if there was cheese sauce on it. My mom was such a good cook. Her homemade chicken and noodles were to die for, as was her vegetable soup. She made the BEST green tomato relish, that went so well with roast beef. Then there was her red velvet cake, made from scratch with buttermilk....long before most people had even heard of red velvet cake, I should add.
6. Do you cry easily? Yes, at the movies, at funerals, at weddings, and if I see someone else crying, I usually join in. I'm a real blubber-head. I frequently laugh until I cry, too, which feels great! I don't cry for myself so much....if I hurt myself, I'm more likely to cuss than cry. It's true. Please don't think less of me.
7. Have you started your (gasp!) Christmas shopping? If so when, and how much? If not, when will you even begin thinking about it? Our Christmas cards arrived last week and I did start updating my labels, though I haven't printed them out yet. We don't do much shopping anymore. The 'kids' don't come. We go to Naples the weekend before. Our tree is usually pretty bare - not piled high with presents like it used to be. We buy a little something to go with giftcards for the grandkids, the nieces & nephews get checks. I get my grandma some little thing, but she is 95 and needs nothing. Joe and I already got a new TV (last week, actually - 55 inches) we are calling it our Christmas gift, though I'm sure there will be a few packages under the tree. I've been watching the catalogs and thinking about a few things, but won't really start until next month. Maybe a toaster....
8. Insert your own random thought here. I've been thinking about our 30th wedding anniversary, which is coming up in May 2015. I can hardly believe we have been married 30 years. The time has just flown by. In some ways, it seems like we have been together 'forever' and in other ways, I can't fathom that it's been 30 years...seems like 10. We are planning a little get-away, and I think perhaps we will be going to New Orleans. We have had so much fun there, on two previous trips. The food, the history, the music, the art..... it's a great city. Why not go somewhere we've not been? Because we know we like New Orleans, and we know it will be a good time. We've seen some of the touristy things, but there are still things we haven't done. I'm thinking this is what we will be choosing, instead of a cruise or a beach trip somewhere. Have you been to New Orleans? If so, what was your favorite restaurant and favorite site?
Thanks for stopping by my Hodgepodge!! So much fun! Peace & blessings!







I've always wanted to take the Banff-Whistler train. I hear the scenery is stunning, and there is something romantic about a train trip through the mountains. My toaster is still working well, after 30 years. Can't say that about most appliances we've bought since! Enjoy your day : )
ReplyDeleteHave never been to Canada, but would have loved to...I have been to N.O., once to Mardi Gras and once not. Jim uses our toaster every day too. I am not a big toast fan. I couldnt do without my coffee pot (Keurig). Hope your Wed. goes by fast!
ReplyDeleteI too would love to take a train across Canada. I don't know if there's one that does that any longer. I watched a documentary on their trains once. We did take a train from Saulte Ste Marie up into Canada and it was marvelous!
ReplyDeleteMay you win the lottery. Today. :-)
All of your illustrations that accompanied your replies to this Hodgepodge are so cute and fun. I appreciated your reply to the Christmas shopping question. Time, age, and family dynamics do change how we handle the season, don't they? Have a blessed day!
ReplyDeleteNational grump day - I like that! lol And I think I like around 9am. Loved learning more about you.
ReplyDeleteWe have lots of similarities. I also get up at 5 and hate it, we need a new toaster, I get grumpy in traffic and I'm a real crier! I have started my Christmas shopping though!
ReplyDeleteOh wow! I adore red velvet cake. That sounds divine. Never been to New Orleans, but that sounds romantic!
ReplyDeleteLoved your answers.
Blessings,
Valerie
I hope when you retire that you will be able to sleep past 5:00. It's just ingrained in me. I remember as a teen thinking I would sleep late all I wanted when I grew up. Not!
ReplyDeleteYour vacations sound wonderful. My husband and I have done train trip through Europe, Alaska and the Great West tour up through Yellowstone and Canada. The Vancouver to Calgary are next on the list. Maybe we might meet there someday!!
I have never been to New Orleans.
Your mom's cooking is making me hungry. Red Velvet cake is one of my favorites to make.
Your posts are always informative and entertaining. :-)
No problem!! On weekends, I happily sleep until 8:00 or so.
DeleteI'm a crier too. Sometimes at the most unlikely places. I'm sure the cashier at Wal-Mart wondered why my eyes were brimming with tears, but you see my husband had just shared a very touching story as we were waiting in line. Sniff, sniff.
ReplyDeleteNow that I'm not working anymore and could sleep late, I'm awake at 5:30 or 6 each morning...Go figure!
ReplyDeleteI've never been to New Orleans, so I have no advice about that. Charleston, SC was my all-time favorite anniversary getaway.
The best part of being retired is not getting up at 5am. I have never been to New Orleans however it is on our bucket list. Rice Lake is not far from our cottage and we have friends on it.
ReplyDeleteCafe DeMonde...sigh..I love Beignets and strong New Awwleans (wink) coffee..anyways..great answers. I love that toaster by the way. Blessings
ReplyDeleteI have a toaster similar to that and I love it. It's lasted me a long time.
ReplyDeleteStop! You're making me hungry and it's almost lunchtime for me. I know lots of kids don't like cauliflower, but I love it. Like you, we ate what was prepared for us when we were little. The only picky eater was our baby sister and to this day she has a limited list of foods she'll eat. As a matter of fact, when she and her family visited sister Jackie this summer, Jackie asked her to please tell her what she would eat. I think the only good eater in that family is a granddaughter.
ReplyDeleteLoved the questions and your answers this week! We live only 25-30 minutes from Canada so we visit often. I love Canada. When I was younger we used to take the train to Toronto..so fun! I have never been to New Orleans but have always wanted to. It looks like a fun city!
ReplyDeleteWhen I was working I always liked when it was time to go home. Sounds like a some fun family vacations. It sounds like you had some great meals growing up too. My mom didn't cook like that. Way to go on getting prepared for your Christmas cards. At this time of year I always feel like it's coming too soon and I don't want to have anything to do with it yet!!! I've never been to New Orleans. How exciting to be planning a trip for your anniversary.
ReplyDeleteI've always wanted to take the Trans-continental train from Toronto to Vancouver, too. Then hop onto a boat for Alaska.
ReplyDelete