Hodgepodge Questions-Volume 247
Here are the questions to this week's Wednesday Hodgepodge. Answer on your own blog, then skate back here tomorrow and share answers with the universe.
1. Many families have a story they love to tell every year around a holiday. Does your family have one? Not that comes to mind. Are you the star of that story, or does another family member take center stage? I have nothing. Share your story if you want. I would be happy to if I had one.
2. Are you afraid to speak your own opinion? Not usually. I'm old now and can get away with it more often, perhaps! LOL
3. Pantone has announced the color of the year for 2016, and for the first time have chosen two shades-rose quartz and serenity. Hmmm...did you know serenity was a color? I would not have known what color 'serenity' was, had I not gone on line to find it. You can read the thought behind their selection here, but essentially it's blending the warmth of rose quartz with the tranquility of a very soft shade of blue. So what do you think? I like the colors and they do blend nicely. Are these colors I'd find in your home or wardrobe? You won't find those colors in my home, but I do have them both (or close) in my wardrobe. I like cool colors and the warmer rose blends into the cooler blue. Will you add something in these shades to either place in the new year? It is likely that I will, since I like them.
4. If you could be in a Christmas carol, which one would you choose? Well, this one had me thinking for awhile. I'm still not sure, but will pick "Oh Come All Ye Faithfull". Why? Because I would like to be there with the choirs of Angels, doing nothing more than adoring the baby Jesus and feeling the complete peace of His being, even as a newborn.
5. December 9th is National Pastry Day. Will you celebrate? Yesterday, today, tomorrow....isn't every day Pastry Day? LOL When did you last purchase something from a bakery? It's been awhile since I purchased something from the bakery, but a co-worker brought donuts in yesterday and I did not resist the urge to partake of that much too sweet delicacy. What's your favorite treat that falls under the heading of pastry? This time of year, my mom's Red Velvet Cake. Family tradition in December. Do you make it yourself or buy from the professionals? I make it myself because no one else makes my mom's icing. Most use cream cheese icing on Red Velvet Cake. My mom's recipe is to die for. Buttery!! The recipe is under my Recipe tab if you want to try it. So good! And it is also good on chocolate cake....Red Velvet is just a light chocolate cake (think Swiss Chocolate). Yum.
6. When it comes to holiday decorating I have just not been in the mood. Minimal this year.
7. When did you last laugh so much it hurt? Oh gosh, it's been a long time since I laughed that hard, and now that you mention it, that makes me sad! I love to laugh until the tears come (even when pee sneaks out!). Those are good times and it's past time!
8. Insert your own random thought here. We are almost done with Christmas shopping. I think there are only a few little things left. I also got my Christmas cards started. Every year I say I'm going to stop sending so many cards. Joe and I had lists from before we married, then combined them, then we changed jobs, then we moved....I still send out over 120 when many have stopped sending cards. We used to get back as many (or more) than we sent, but not anymore. Perhaps I'll slash the list next year. Some old, old friends only hear from us once a year and these days I have to stop and think about whether we heard so-and-so died during the year. Isn't that awful?! I really look forward to hearing from friends and family who live so far away now, and I love getting the letters telling about the year, the kids, the grandkids. Some people are bored by it, but I enjoy it AND the photos that come in some. Having a full mailbox just says Christmas to me.
Thanks for your visit today! Happy Hump Day!! Peace & hugs.

#2 answer - Cracked me up. I say that line all the time now too. Hope you are enjoying the holiday season Terri.
ReplyDeleteMy friends and I exchange Christmas cards, but I've stopped sending them. As you know, the Christmas tree I have is very basic - no fuss at all about it. I probably would have laughed a lot about some silly thing I saw on facebook. I know in September an imagined exchange between Cameron and Obama really tickled my funny bone. The exchange was in reference to Cameron's 'incident' with a pig when he was at university. Have a good day.
ReplyDeleteI use to exchange cards...then hubby's pay got cut and things are just too tight. I thought about sending out a "newsletter" via email...but since family really don't care---and my/our friends all know what's going on...anyways...as always enjoyed your answers. AND I almost spat out my coffee on the donut comment, LOLOL.
ReplyDeleteBlessings
Evidently the article I read on the pantone colors had a completely different take on it. Lol I love your choice of carols. That is definitely a favorite of mine. Hope you have a good rest of the week, Terri.
ReplyDeleteWow, your Christmas card list is long! I do good to send out 20, these days.
ReplyDeleteI hope your holiday mood will improve. 'Tis the season to be jolly :) Enjoy the rest of your week!
Kathy (from Reflections)
We stopped sending out cards many years ago. Wow that's a lot of cards you send out.
ReplyDeleteHave a great day!
I'll have to check out your cake recipe as that's my daughter2's favorite, and I often make red velvet for her birthday. We have cut back on cards, but still send about 80. I love sending and receiving them so am happy there are still people out there embracing this tradition. Have a great day!
ReplyDeleteI think a lot of us are far overdue for a really good laugh about something clean. I'm right there with you on that one. Hugs.
ReplyDeleteWe love Red Velvet Cake in our family...we look into your recipe. Thanks! I haven't sent out cards for a couple of years. It just became too expensive when you have to buy the cards and stamps.
ReplyDeleteI would love to hear the angels singing. Wouldn't that be so awesome!!
ReplyDeleteI think the song you chose fits you...because you are a faithful friend. Mercy, that's a lot of cards...but I love getting cards, too. Snail mail is great.
ReplyDeleteIt is sad to say, but the older I get, the less I decorate, and I dont mail cards any longer. It is a $$$$ thing. I would love to have a piece of your red velvet cake, cause I know it is wonderful. I look forward to hearing those angels since for sure.
ReplyDeleteI laughed at your answer to #5. That is what we do as we get older too!! Have a good week
ReplyDeleteThe red velvet cakes sounds yummy. I thought my mailing of about 70 cards was a lot but that list sounds LONG! LOL I know what you mean though about keeping in touch with people,
ReplyDeleteI say every year that I'm going to stop with the Christmas cards. And, every year, I get them ready and send them out- even to people I could probably drop. I loved my grandmother's red velvet cake. I think she put butter cream frosting on hers. It was so good!
ReplyDeleteSWMBO and I need to review our Christmas card list and pare it down some. We have not had the energy to decorate much either but I'm sure that we will find the energy soon. I am glad that you enjoy my Hodgepodge answers. Have a wonderful week.
ReplyDeleteIf I could eat red velvet cake right now, I'd definitely try that recipe! (You're leading me into temptation!!!)
ReplyDeleteI stopped sending Christmas cards a few years ago. I still get a few, but those are trickling down since I don't reciprocate! When someone asks for my address, I tell them that I don't send them so they won't think they've been snubbed! :)
I know you love Christmas and so do I! I enjoy reading your answers. I have to say I have finally quit sending cards. Merry Christmas...
ReplyDelete