Of course, we will be honoring the USA's Independence Day
for the Wednesday Medley!!
Everything below this line is from the line is from the National Calendar website.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
INDEPENDENCE DAY – July 4
INDEPENDENCE DAY
Each year on July 4th, the United States celebrates Independence Day. This federal holiday commemorates the adoption of the Declaration of Independence on July 4, 1776, declaring independence from the Kingdom of Great Britain.
For nearly 250 years, the country has been celebrating a day in history that inspires us still today. On July 4th, speeches and ceremonies are held across the nation. Across the country, people crowd cities for parades and festivals. Streets are decked out in red, white and blue bunting and flags.
While families and friends gather for some of the most mouthwatering food – large picnics and barbecues, local fairs provide a taste of culture and mom’s home cooking, too. With so many converging on their hometowns, family and school reunions take place.
Fire Works
Before the day is over, many communities hold spectacular fireworks displays re-enact moments of victory. Patriotic music accompanies the performance while spectators view the show from blankets strewn along capital lawns or from boats floating in bays. Whether out National Anthem, “The Star-Spangled Banner” or “God Bless America,” many will sing along. In some locations, music will be played by a live orchestra or band, while in other areas it’s pre-recorded. Some of the most popular on the playlist are “America the Beautiful,” “My Country, Tis of Thee,” “This Land Is Your Land,” “Stars and Stripes Forever,” “God Bless the U.S.A.,” “Yankee Doodle” and “Dixie.”
In some parts of the country, people will shoot their own fireworks. Children delight in the bright colors and sparklers. They roast marshmallows and make s’mores.
HOW TO OBSERVE INDEPENDENCE DAY
- At noon, a “Salute to the Union” is fired, each July 4th, by any capable military base. This is a salute of one gun for each state in the United States.
- In 2009, New York City hosted the largest fireworks display in the country.
- Held since 1785, the Bristol Fourth of July Parade in Bristol, Rhode Island is the oldest continuous Independence Day celebration in the United States.
Use #IndependenceDay, #July4th, #4thOfJuly, FourthOfJuly to share your celebrations on social media.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Everything above this line is from the line is from the National Calendar website.
1. Please share a favorite July 4th memory with us. I have very early memories of going to the local city park with my parents and little brother to see the fireworks. I remember holding my ears but loving the sparkles and colors. Later in life, my folks always hosted a neighborhood get-together in our backyard. There were tables, tons of food from everyone, homemade ice cream, badminton, croquet, shade from the big maple tree and lots of talking and laughing. I loved those gatherings. They lasted all afternoon.
2. How do you plan to spend tomorrow? If you are working, will you celebrate later? I am not working and we are going to the pot-luck at the clubhouse. Helen and Cheryl are coming over to go with us. Our holiday pot-lucks are always nice.
3. Is there a favorite food always reserved for your 4th of July celebration? Those backyard gatherings brought everyone's specialty. My mom's was homemade noodles with chicken. Elaine's mom brought raspberry pie. Mary Foley made banana pudding... let's not forget the three ice cream freezers cranked by the men and boys! Now I guess it's hotdogs, hamburgers, deviled eggs, potato salad. I'm hungry now!!
4. In Florida, you can buy all kinds of fireworks, including some that fly high and burst into pretty cascades. Are fireworks legal in your state/community and does anyone you know put on a display for your neighborhood? There are fireworks for sale on every corner (well, nearly). We don't buy them, but plenty of people do and you can hear them for hours on July 4th, even if you can't see them. Our city does a big event called Red, White, and Kaboom.
5. Do you have a favorite movie that you always watch sometime during the 4th of July? We usually try to watch Independence Day sometime around the 4th. Love that movie with Will Smith, Jeff Goldblum, and Bill Pulman.
6. Share something from your week, please. My workweek is a short one because the Doc is taking a few extra days with the holiday. I'm off today through Monday. A nice little break, even if I don't get paid. Only a few more days to go after that. I am so looking forward to not setting the alarm every morning. I will miss some of the patients and am getting hugs and Facebook connections. I've met some very nice people in these eight months I've worked there.
If you have answered on your blog, please link up below with the other Meddlers so we can visit back and forth! Thanks for your visit!
If you have answered on your blog, please link up below with the other Meddlers so we can visit back and forth! Thanks for your visit!
Peace & hugs!! God bless!!


Since this will be our first 4th of July in our new town, we are interested to see how it plays out. I get the impression in this +55 active adult community, it will be kind of quiet. That's okay with me. We usually grill something for holidays like this, but with the heat, we may use the broiler inside. (our grill is in the intense sunshine afternoon - evening). I love to watch the 4th of July fireworks on TV in Washington DC. Our first 4th of July there in 1984 was very exciting as we sat on a grassy hillside watching the fireworks over the Washington Mall. Will never forget that!
ReplyDeleteWow, has it really been 8 months? Time flies, for sure! Your childhood Fourths sound like something right out of a Hallmark movie. I never experienced anything like that, but miss it all the same. (Does that make sense?) Now you've got me craving banana pudding. :)))
ReplyDeleteYour life always seems so packed full of people and events. It's fun to read about. Thank you for the Medley, Terri. Have a wonderful Fourth.
ReplyDeleteEveryone is mentioning deviled eggs. I wish they'd come to mind earlier. I don't have time to make them today or tomorrow. Darn. I love those things!
ReplyDeleteHow exciting...getting ready to "retire" again!
Have a safe and fun 4th, Terri!
Have a great 4th
ReplyDeleteHAHA - we both chose Independence Day.
ReplyDeleteI think you moved to the most charming place with all the pot lucks you have.
Countdown on till that alarm clock can get pushed aside!!!! :)
I hope you guys have a lovely July 4th. I wish we lived in such a nice neighborhood, smiles
ReplyDeleteIt will be a "quiet" fourth for us this year, Terri. Yes, we'll hear plenty of fireworks around us, but don't plan to attend any events.
ReplyDeleteYour memories of the back yard celebrations are wonderful. Brings back past fourths for me, too!
Blessings!
Your past 4ths sound wonderful! Have a great 4th!!
ReplyDeleteWe watch Independence Day as well on July 4th. My kids always do an eye roll but it is a good film and a reminder of the true spirit of America.
ReplyDeleteAlways watch Independence Day. We can see fireworks from our driveway so we usually just stand there and watch.
ReplyDeleteHave a great weekend!
Terri, your memories of the 4th sound wonderful and I love the tradition of the food brought by each person and your remembering them. Happy 4th to you and your Joe and your friends as you celebrate tomorrow.
ReplyDeleteJust visiting today but I hope you have a lovely day tomorrow Terri. Your community definitely is a nice place to be. Those 8 months seem to have flown by. Enjoy your break.
ReplyDeleteMy apologies for the Medley that excluded my wonderful friends from the UK.
DeleteLoved hearing the memories of your childhood Fourth of Julys. We usually went to a parade and then often spent the rest of the day at our family's camp in the woods. It wasn't as much fun as yours, but was relaxing for my parents, I guess. They usually brought along sparklers for us kids.
ReplyDeleteEnjoy your holiday! I am so glad you get some extra days off! Loved your answers! Have a Happy 4th of July!
ReplyDeletehttps://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/
I also had an aunt who made the best chicken and noodles and she brought them to our reunions just about every year along with her lemon meringue pie! Now, I'm making myself hungry! Sounds like a fun time will be in store for you tomorrow...enjoy your July 4th Terri!
ReplyDeleteSounds like you have had great memories about the 4th and more will come!
ReplyDeleteHappy July 4th to you and yours.
ReplyDeleteGod bless.
Enjoy your extra long weekend! I'm bringing chicken dip with chips to our local potluck, mostly because I've been wanting it! LOL
ReplyDeleteEnjoy the day tomorrow and the long weekend. I'm on call all week so am hoping not to end up going in tomorrow. We have my sister and BIL coming to grill in the evening.
ReplyDeleteIt's always fun to read your answers. We are hot dogs & hamburgers, too. We always used to have hand-cranked ice cream, too. Nothing like it in the world, is there!!!!
ReplyDeleteHappy 4th to you and your family- xo Diana
I usually have Wednesdays off but worked for a few hours today hoping I get to take Friday off. We're closed tomorrow but the custodians will be at work on Friday and when they're at work, I'm on call! I hope you have a safe and happy Fourth! Enjoy your time off!
ReplyDeleteYour childhood memories of the 4th sound so idealic. That's truly Americana experiences from the past. Love it and wish for it. I hope you will enjoy your retirement as much as am enjoying mine.
ReplyDelete