As you, my regular blogging friends, know, I had total knee replacement for my right knee, on August 27th. You also know that Joe has not been well and I would not let him go to the hospital with me for the surgery. God bless our dear friends here who pitched in for us. Heather took me to Tampa General Hospital on surgery day. I had to be there at 6:30 a.m. She dropped me off (offered to stay but I sent her home) and I found my way to admitting. All I can say is that all of your prayers and good thoughts found their way to me. It all went smoothly and I got to go home the next day! I had to prove that I could walk down the hall and go up and down three steps, which I did. It was actually easier than I expected it to be.
Our neighbor, Sharon, brought Joe to the hospital to pick me up. Joe was not doing well and couldn't drive to Tampa. Again, so blessed with good friends and neighbors.
Physical therapy at home started a few days after I got home. I was getting around well using the walker. Joe did all he could, but he was so tired and short of breath that I didn't ask for much of anything. He was scheduled for his heart procedure on September 12th and went to the hospital for all the pre-op testing on September 6th. He had just walked into the house when the phone rang and it was the hospital telling Joe to get back to the hospital emergency department immediately. I was helpless. Our across-the-street neighbor, Paul, came over to take Joe to the ER.
We at least got an explanation for how bad Joe was feeling. His hemoglobin was only 6.4. Normal is between 14 and 17. He ended up in the hospital for five days and got three units of blood, all kinds of tests, including a colonoscopy, endoscopy, small bowel test... they couldn't find any reason for the low hemoglobin (no internal bleeding) and decided it is just his blood thinners. He is on iron pills now and feeling much better! They canceled his TAVR procedure, though, and it has been rescheduled for October 22nd.
I was on my own while Joe was in the hospital but, oh my goodness, we had food brought in by friends, visits from some of our church family, gift cards arrived by mail and so many get-well cards that we ran out of room to set them up. I was not alone and just as many visited Joe in the hospital. We are SO blessed.
Physical therapy here at home went well. Chase came three days a week and put me through my paces. He told Joe one day that "...you are married to one tough lady". It hurt (still hurts) but I have to admit it hasn't been as bad as I was expecting. Maybe it's just because my knee hurt so bad for two years that this different kind of pain wasn't any worse (or as bad).
My incision the day I got home.
A couple of weeks later...
And this is how it looks now.
X-ray of my new knee.
My new knee and my left, which is bone-on-bone and will be
done after the first of the year. I decided to wait six months
rather than do it in November.
I am doing physical therapy for three more weeks (twice a week) at Leading Edge. Several people I know have done therapy there and talked about how good they are so that's where I chose to go.
We can't take pictures in the therapy room, but I mentioned on Facebook that they have robots. It is a robotic device that allows them to target muscles by applying direct pressure in a way a massage therapist can't do. HERE is a link for anyone interested.
So our October will be focused on getting my knee stronger and FINALLY getting Joe's aortic valve replaced. Perhaps the holidays (fast approaching) will be healthier and more fun for both of us!!
That said, I will be around in October but not on a regular schedule. I don't think I'll be bringing the Wednesday Medley back Anyone who would like to take over, please do!! It was fun for those few months but it did cause me some angst, especially when the National Daily Calendar was so lame I could barely think of five questions to post. My hat goes off to Joyce and all those who post the weekly memes for us. It is not an easy task.
Wishing you all a good weekend!! We are back to Sunday school and church now. Missed it. Thanks again for the prayers offered. Please keep Joe on your prayer lists. Joe's younger brother, Nick, is fighting cancer right now so I ask that you include him too.
Peace & hugs!! God bless!!






So glad all is going well. Thankful that you will be a bit farther along in your recovery before Joe has his surgery.
ReplyDeleteYes, you and Joe are truly blessed. BUT(!), y'all make it easy to love you. :) Of course, I'm happy to include Nick on my prayers list.
ReplyDeleteWhat with my new job, I can't to take on the Medley … but hope someone steps up. I know it couldn't have been easy … you've left some big shoes to fill! HUGS!
You are a miracle - Joe is a miracle - God gave you two miracles. Thank God for friends too. sandie
ReplyDeleteI am so happy you are doing so well with your knee...just keep up the good work. Will certainly be praying for Joe and also Nick as well. Hugs to a special lady/friend.
ReplyDeleteHi, Terri and welcome back! Such good news from the two of you! I'm glad you and Joe are doing so much better and praising God for his faithfulness in providing all the good friends you needed to get you through. :)
ReplyDeleteTeri, it is so good to have you back!
ReplyDeleteMy cousin is about three weeks behind you. She is not doing as well. I worry that she thinks this is a vacation. She keeps her leg up in her recliner, reading books and watching TV. I fear for her reliance on pain meds. On Thursday her doctor told her that she is not getting the flexation she must have and if she doesn't do her exercises soon, he will need to operate again and break up the adhesions.
Her husband is so sweet, but I told him not to do for her. She needs to be up and moving around and doing her exercises!
My husband was like you! He did everything they told him and his recovered as expected!
So wonderful to hear from you, Terri! You've been missed, my friend, that's for sure. Yes, I will add Joe's brother, Nick, to my prayer list, and will continue to keep all of you in prayer. So glad the doctors were able to diagnose Joe's shortness of breath and that he's doing so much better - you all have certainly been through the wringer, but I know there are good times ahead for both of you.
ReplyDeleteBlessings!
I'm so glad to hear that you are recovering so well. That's great that they found out why Joe was feeling so bad and I'm glad he is feeling better. Have a great week!
ReplyDeleteWelcome back to the big universe of the blogging world! Glad things are percolating along and glad you will have a nice holiday before your next "push."
ReplyDeleteI have missed your blogging--but do follow you on FB so that is all good, smiles. Keeping you both in prayer.
ReplyDeleteI am so glad I saw your post. I have been out of town all weekend. I will continually lift you and Joe up in prayer. Thank goodness for good people that look out for us. Take it easy and slow. We will leave a light on for you.
ReplyDeleteGood to see you blogging again. But I understand about not writing as often as you did before surgery. It does take time!
ReplyDeleteThe x-rays of both of your knees is very interesting. Thanks for sharing!
I am so happy to see you hear and hope and pray your surgery will be successful! I know you are anxious to get better and do the things you want and need to do. I've kept you in my prayers...and will continue! Take care of yourself and rest!!! Hugs, Diane
ReplyDeleteI can't tell you how happy I was to see a post from you! This was a great recap of your time away. So glad you are both doing better and will be happy when Joe's procedure is done.
ReplyDeleteI know you are well loved and it shows by all the assistance you got during this time.
We've all missed you!
So happy to read of how well your therapy and surgery has gone. Your friends are amazing, and you are indeed blessed. Poor Joe! Feeling so bad and no explanations, but sounds like he's finally feeling better. Keeping you both in our prayers, Kiddo. Do take care and keep us posted....and you know, if you ever need anything, I'm here for you.
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like you're really doing well, Terri. And smart, I think, that you're waiting a bit before the second knee replacement. Sorry to hear about Joe. I'll will keep him and Nick and you in my prayers. ❤️🙏✝️
ReplyDeleteIt’s been great to see how you and Joe have gotten through this month and all the support from friends and neighbors. You’re a strong woman, Terri! I think your grateful heart is beautiful.
ReplyDeleteI've been following on FB, but it is so good to know you are doing so well. God is good!
ReplyDeleteTell Joe I feel his pain!!! My hemoglobin was at 7.2 & I know exactly that breathless, exhaustion - its so bad for the heart too.
ReplyDeleteSo glad seeing your smiling face on here. & love seeing the knee progression. Healing right on up!!!